If we could only do this in Canada

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=5530.msg14403#msg14403 date=1485825286]
The president of the USA signed an order that any new regulation put forward by a government agency must also be accompanied by two regulations to be deleted.
[/quote]
This sounds extremely arbitrary and impractical.  At some point it would all lock up, no?

Colonel

Please, stop teasing me.
Chuck Ellsworth

A real professional pilot only needs a few basic regulations to fly safely.

The only place on earth I ever had problems trying to figure out the regulations was in Canada with its CAR's a truly fucked up system that no one can really figure out...especially the regulator they will give you a different opinion from day to day.
ScudRunner-d95

Interesting Mr. Inspector please tell me more about doing my 300nm in less than 24 hours. I'm here to learn, hmm I can't seam to find that can you show me.

[quote] (4) Experience [list]
[li][b] [i](a)[/i] An applicant for a commercial pilot licence — aeroplane shall
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version) [/b][list]
[li][b] (i) have completed, subject to paragraph (b), a minimum of 200 hours flight time in aeroplanes, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command time including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time, and
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version) [/b][/li]
[li][b] (ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of:
[li][b] (A) 35 hours dual instruction flight time, under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating — Aeroplane, including:
[li][b] (I) 5 hours night, including a minimum of 2 hours of cross-country flight time;
[li][b] (II) 5 hours cross-country, which may include the cross-country experience stated in subclause (I); and
[li][b] (III) 20 hours of instrument flight time in addition to the experience stated in subclauses (I) and (II). A maximum 10 hours of the 20 hours may be conducted on an approved aeroplane simulator or synthetic flight training device.
[/list] [/li]
[li][b] [color=red](B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version) [/color][/b][list]
[li][color=red][b] (I) 25 hours solo flight time emphasizing the improvement of general flying skills of the applicant which shall include a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure; and
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version) [/b][/color][/li]
[li][color=red][b] (II) 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version) [/b][/color][/li]
[/list] [/li]
[/list] [/li]
[/list] [/li]
[/list][/quote]
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5530.msg14442#msg14442 date=1485910604]
A real professional pilot only needs a few basic regulations to fly safely.[/quote]
Unfortunately it seems that a small percentage at best are true professionals.
Colonel

At the risk of incurring the usual outrage ....

Telling people [b]what [/b]to do, is probably a good
thing.

Telling them [b]how [/b]to do it is a futile exercise,
because of the complexity of real life.

For example, regulations that merely tell you [b]what[/b]
to do, might look like:

1) Don't kill or hurt anyone
2) Try not to bend any tin
3) Try not to piss anyone off

As Chuck alludes, really not that complicated.

Now, [b]how [/b]to accomplish the above, is up to you, Captain.

All sorts of ground-pounders will want to usurp
the authority of the PIC and tell him how to do
his job.

To me, this is ridiculous.  You know, 99.999%
of the CARs and SOPs.

Now, people will argue that the above is impossible
because pilots are moronic children who can't be trusted
to make a good decision under pressure.  That may be
so, given the accidents we have seen lately.

All I know is that when you are leading a team of
talented engineers, you would never, ever dream of
micromanaging them, by telling them [b]how[/b] to do
something.  That would be ludicrous.  You just point
them in a direction and ask them what they need to
get it done.

You just tell them the problem.  You don't tell them
the list of solutions, or to work on a particular solution,
or god help us, how to solve a [i]particular [/i]solution. 

That's their job.  List all solutions with cost/benefit
analysis, and we go from there.

Is this too left-brain?
Chuck Ellsworth

How conversant would you need to be with the regulations in Brazil for instance to be comfortable flying under their rules Shiney?

I used Brazil as my example because their bureaucracy was the most mind boggling of all the sixty or so countries I flew in.