Interesting airplanes you have flown.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

I guess I have not had the opportunity to fly many exotic types but I guess the rarest would be a sanders st27 and of course working up the chain from cub to bch 18 (which as the colonel and chuck have said is a pure delight to fly) Many hours spent see half the world in a whoredyne , never liked a beaver much, oh ya really piss poor ski plane with 2 blader prop and on floats ok but I liked the norseman a lot better. DC3 past and present but I think the 727 was my favourite even more than the herc. Convair was a 2 fisted aeroplane and the 748 just a nice all round ride. Slow to climb and slow to cruise but handled like a dream. Lear was nice flying aeroplane but fucking uncomfortable. 

Chuck Ellsworth

Hey L.C. how many times have you hand cranked a whoredyne with that abortion of a inertia starter?
Liquid Charlie

Barney was pretty progressive. All the aircraft had been converted to a "normal" starter. Did fly a DAK with one engine that had an inertia starter but they changed that out pretty fast as well. All my manual starting was done by flipping props even the DAK
Barneydhc82

One aircraft that I flew was the homebuilt Volksplane.  After a very thorough inspection I squeezed into it for its first flight.  A couple taxi tests and finally airborne.  The damned thing started pitching with very little elevator input so turns in the circuit were done with my thumb firmly pressed against the bottom of the panel and on downwind, the bloody windshield was trying to cut my throat as it bent rearward.

The landing was a bit scarry with the flare being done by squeezing my hand gently on the top of the stick.

My report to the owner was..BURN the damned thing!  The stabilator was incorrectly assembled and there was no anti-servo tab on the stabilator which meant that there was no feel to pitch and the throat cleaver was 1/8 plexi without and framung.

The owner sold the thing to a person in Sask. who end up as a fatality on his first flight.

Barney