Aircraft Accident Speculation

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

So why is it that many people on forums like this shout down anyone who speculates as to the cause of an aircraft accident? I have learned a lot from speculation as sometimes it gets me thinking about other accidents and causes that I may have never considered and I believe the more knowledge the better.

However I see many times after accidents happen and someone says I believe that XYZ might have caused this as it happened before to a similar type only to have threads of people shouting them down saying wait for the report.

So whats the harm in speculating?

Chuck Ellsworth

Maybe it is societies reluctance to admit mistakes and to prevent this they shout down anyone who might hurt their feelings?

They look at accidents as " Learning experiences ".

Obviously I have not learned yet.
Colonel

I've noticed that a lot of people shouting down
the discussion on the accidents are involved in
some capacity, and want to suppress knowledge
of the accident.

One thing I see is that young people haven't
learned that you don't get to choose what you
become famous / notorious for.  Censorship just
doesn't work, despite their fondness for the
work of Stalin et al.
CpnCrunch

It seems to just happen on avcanada. Someone speculates about icing, flying into crappy weather, etc. and you instantly get jumped on by a bunch of people who say it's bad to speculate when someone has just been killed. I guess it's better to wait 2 years until everyone has forgotten about it? 9 times out of 10 the avcanada speculation came to the same conclusions as the TSB 2 years later. (Occasionally you get something from left field, like that guy who flew drunk).