Taxes on a second-hand airplane?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:22 pm
TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:07 pm
Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:05 pm
I heard that Alberta isn’t very tolerant and I agree we don’t tolerate that bullshit.
Of company right off's?
Nah meant excessive taxes
Ahh okay, I was going to say everyone I know that has a business rights off just about everything,

digits

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:57 pm

Ahh okay, I was going to say everyone I know that has a business rights off just about everything,
You might be right. But they write it off.

:geek:
TwinOtterFan

Lol ya, bouncing between my phone and tablet and answering the work cell in the ambulance. Not sure why I chose that moment to respond lol.
David MacRay

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:04 pm
David MacRay wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Surprise, the lady is a majority partner and owns 99% of your plane.
Lol, not quite she has nothing to do with the aircraft she just sets up the "corporation" I actually was able to track her down and gave her a call a year or so ago she was still doing it.

I'm no pro, I actually came across the post talking about her on the other aviation website. They were talking about her so I PM'd that member and got her info. Ended up moving here so it didn't matter.

But don't listen to me, clearly I'm not great at this stuff. My buddy is a contractor and is now starting flight school and buying a plane which he can right off through his company. I'm over here paying for like a chump.
I was mostly kidding, though I am a bit paranoid. I would probably be more concerned about doing something like that and having the Ontario government figure it out ten years later, then wanting the tax plus penalties.
Squaretail

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:04 pm
My buddy is a contractor and is now starting flight school and buying a plane which he can right off through his company. I'm over here paying for like a chump.
If your buddy is starting a flight school because he thinks he's going to save money on a plane, I think you need to re examine who the "chump" is in this scenario.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

Flying is like farming.

How long you can do it, is determined by how much money you start with.

I have potato farmers on both sides of my family. Genetically, I am doomed. I have warned
people around me that if I start gibbering annoyingly about potatoes, they are to zip tie me,
duct tape my mouth and take away my checkbook until I recover.
TwinOtterFan

Oh no, not starting A flight school. He's starting to attend flight school. And buying a plane, his account told him he could write off the school and the plane as long as he submits a few invoices per year for "surveying". He wrote his ski doo for garbage disposal.

My neighbor has more quads and side by sides and toys than I can count. Same thing the "company" owns them all.
digits

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm
Oh no, not starting A flight school. He's starting to attend flight school. And buying a plane, his account told him he could write off the school and the plane as long as he submits a few invoices per year for "surveying". He wrote his ski doo for garbage disposal.

My neighbor has more quads and side by sides and toys than I can count. Same thing the "company" owns them all.
I'm wondering if his account knows of the existence of this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... craft.html

It's easy to write off everything as long as you don't get audited...
Scudrunner
Site Admin

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6663587

The latest lunacy in BC. This guy paid 2100 for a old 2008 used Dodge Ram Truck, when you register it they look at the Blue book value and ding you 12% of that value which they say is 11K

Got into a dust up on Reddit over this trying to incite a revolt but I forgot Good Canadians™ like to pay taxes on everything.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TundraTire

That's the norm everywhere else in Canada, I'm surprised BC hadn't been doing it already.