Taxes on a second-hand airplane?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

For those of you who have bought airworthy Canadian-registered airplanes and kept them in Canada, did you have to pay HST or anything when changing over the registration or was it just the $110 or whatever TC wants for the paperwork?

Scudrunner
Site Admin

Nothing on the Pitts as we are Alberta based. The Mixmaster because it was bought off a Company we paid GST.

Private to private for Alberta there is no tax on planes even cars. Odd eh its like that tax has already been paid when it was originally purchased....

Elsewhere in Canuckistan such as BC they ding you 12%
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... rcraft.pdf

Hmmm business idea, Scudrunners airplane registration mailbox and racket co ltd.

Pretty sure that's why every business jet in the US is registered to a Deleware or Montana company.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TwinOtterFan

When I was living in Ontario and looking at planes there was a lady in Alberta that you could contact and create a corporation for I think around $65. Your corporation in Alberta would then buy said plane.

I heard of a couple other owners in Ontario that have done it. I ended up just moving here.
David MacRay

Surprise, the lady is a majority partner and owns 99% of your plane.
Colonel

I have never understood taxes on the sale of used goods.

Let's say it trades hands every day for a year. Why on earth does the government need to be paid tax on it 365 times over?!

Let's say I buy some "used" shares of a company. Do I need to pay sales tax on them, because they have changed ownership?
TwinOtterFan

David MacRay wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Surprise, the lady is a majority partner and owns 99% of your plane.
Lol, not quite she has nothing to do with the aircraft she just sets up the "corporation" I actually was able to track her down and gave her a call a year or so ago she was still doing it.

I'm no pro, I actually came across the post talking about her on the other aviation website. They were talking about her so I PM'd that member and got her info. Ended up moving here so it didn't matter.

But don't listen to me, clearly I'm not great at this stuff. My buddy is a contractor and is now starting flight school and buying a plane which he can right off through his company. I'm over here paying for like a chump.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I heard that Alberta isn’t very tolerant and I agree we don’t tolerate that bullshit.
TwinOtterFan

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:05 pm
I heard that Alberta isn’t very tolerant and I agree we don’t tolerate that bullshit.
Of company right off's?
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm
Let's say it trades hands every day for a year. Why on earth does the government need to be paid tax on it 365 times over?!
Don’t give them any ideas
Scudrunner
Site Admin

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:07 pm
Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:05 pm
Of company right off's?
Nah meant excessive taxes