Looking for advice.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

I am looking for advice from this group.

I have a Homebuilt Cub that A friend of mine is in the final stages of finishing building for me.

It is a Super Cub airframe with two doors and a 115 H.P. Lycoming in it.

When it is finished I am not sure if we should sell it or keep it for tail wheel training.

Would there be a market for that kind of training?

So let me know what you think.

By the way I have a lot of time flying and training on tail wheel airplanes....from the J3 to the DC3......over five thousand hours on the DC3. :mrgreen:

The Dread Pilot Roberts

Can you use a home built for instruction in a commercial FTU capacity ? I assume you would do it for profit?

Taking friends up and helping them stay sharp is another matter.
Chuck Ellsworth

I have no desire to ever own another commercial flight training operation.

Any training I would do would be one on one and not under a commercial operation.
David MacRay

Sell it and get a DC-3.
CaptNerdly

I would think there would be a market and I'm guessing you could do it on a homebuilt. I don't think there is any such thing as a tailwheel rating in Canada unlike the states so I don't see why it would have to be a certified and you wouldn't need an FTU. It's just getting the experience. One of our local airways has run into an issue with their insurance company wanting 25 hrs tailwheel time before insuring their pilot to fly the C185 on wheel / skis even though he has thousands of hours on floats. But they will insure an old guy like myself who hasn't flown on w/s for 18 years no problem.
Liquid_Charlie

Hey Chuck

Unless you want to do a little "buckshee" work to offset some of the expenses and you intend to actually fly and enjoy the cub, sure keep it but if you aren't too interested in flying it yourself I say sell it, take the money and run :mrgreen: - conventional gear is fast fading into the sunset except for the handful of enthusiasts.

Canada, the so called bush pilot (in our own eyes) capital of the world the training wheel is taking over. There are few and far between people who would actually be willing to fork out money to travel to you for a few hours in an aircraft they will never fly in the future.

The new commercial license is certainly not interested, they have -8itis and will end up in the right seat of a "Ho" or the right seat of a trainer trying to pass their vast amount of experience. Time marches on and tablets and smart phones are forming the new heard mentality.

Change and tech is great, it's the dumbing down that is distressing.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"