Advice For The Youngsters

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Get your TC ATPL
Get your FAA ATP
Get your B737 type (or A320 if you're into that. Not that there's anything wrong with that).

You will be well-positioned.

Squaretail

Hell, just get started with a CPL and an instrument rating, get 1000 hours and you probably won't have trouble finding work.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

What’s a 737 type rating go for these days? That same amount might be better spent on a share in a Cherokee and a ton of gas.
Colonel

Not sure buying hours in a single is going to help you after you get your ATP.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:56 am
Not sure buying hours in a single is going to help you after you get your ATP.
Yeah, that’s more a ‘before’ thing. Not sure how North American carriers currently view applicants with type ratings but no experience.
Colonel

There is a certain irony here, that I will politely refrain from pointing out.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:13 pm
They probably figure it’s easier in the long run to train from zero than to have to overcome the primacy effects of some sim company’s procedures being different from their own.
Nark

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:57 pm
Colonel wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:13 pm
They probably figure it’s easier in the long run to train from zero than to have to overcome the primacy effects of some sim company’s procedures being different from their own.
I can comment with authority about Airbus and their philosophies (maybe singular?). Airbus people tend to be taught in a single way that Airbus wants the pilots to fly the aircraft. Where as for the Boeing and Embraer etc… it’s taught to whomever teaches it.

I routinely unfuck students mindset that they WILL strike the tail on rotation (as drill in to them during sims). Once they come on line (IOE with me) by under-rotating, they destroy second segment climb gradient performance.

Sorry, felt like interjecting my unsolicited opinion on the matter.

Anyone want to go in on a timed out A320 and convert it to freighter with me?
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Slick Goodlin

Nark wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:42 pm
Airbus people tend to be taught in a single way that Airbus wants the pilots to fly the aircraft.
While I mostly agree, the shop I fly for insists on flying Airbus equipment their own way. Something about being more aligned with the rest of the fleet and/or easier to transition onto from a DC-9 or a Constellation or whatever.
Colonel

Anyone want to go in on a timed out A320 and convert it to freighter with me?
Travolta was weird but he had the right idea about an old 707 as a personal airplane. I know, noise.

Personally I think a steam gauge 737 is intriguing.