Lower The Nose

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote][font=Verdana]I hate that fucking steering wheel that they put in airplanes.[/font][font=Verdana]They get in and say, Hey, I know how this works.[/font][/quote][font=Verdana]

At least Airbus figured out that one.[/font]

Fendermandan

Chuck, its not that they don't understand. Its a hot shit mentality, i know everything. Also initial multi engine training is transfered to big planes. Ya problem there.

My favorite thing is to listen a 5 sec departure brief that was memorized. I can guarantee that in case of emergency most of them will fuck up the procedures and firewall the engines and not lower the nose and no zero slip, etc
Chris

Teach people to do winch launches in a glider, where you’re climbing 45+ degrees nose up, full stick back with not a whole lot of excess speed and being pulled by a cable that loves to drop you without a moment’s notice. Pull the release on them mid-climb until dropping the nose becomes instinct.
kevind

The first high break on a winch launch is fun to watch  :) 
Colonel

In a perfect world, the cadets that get the power scholarship would
learn to fly on taildraggers.  Gliders, then taildraggers!

Decades ago, the Tiger Moth, then the Harvard and then the Chipmunk
were all used as primary trainers by the RCAF.

It is such a pleasure to fly with someone that has a clue how to use
their feet.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8723.msg24030#msg24030 date=1531886349]
It is such a pleasure to fly with someone that has a clue how to use their feet.
[/quote]
Incredibly, I've flown with people who have a pile of high-cycle tailwheel time (glider towing and the like) who still can't seem to coordinate in flight.  I don't know if they just switch it off when they feel it isn't needed or if they have a trail of bent Pawnees behind them or what.
JW Scud

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=8723.msg24017#msg24017 date=1531791981]
Has aviation been dumbed down to the level that there are pilots or rather people flying multi engine airplanes that do not know you " must " lower the nose as your first action when an engine fails, especially just after take off?

Naw, you are exaggerating.

[/quote]

I heard that some people are actually making a rudder input as their first action.
Colonel

One time, at band camp, I heard was possible to move the big stupid
fucking steering wheel with your hands, and the rudder pedals with
your feet [i]at the same time[/i] but I didn't believe it.

Then someone mentioned that you could use [b]one[/b] hand on the stupid
fucking big steering wheel, and [b]another[/b] hand on the throttles [i]at the
same time[/i] as controlling the rudders with your [b]feet[/b], and we all laughed
and laughed and laughed, because everyone knows that's impossible.

Then we made some smores and laughed some more, and went and
flew plastic airplanes with stupid fucking nosewheels, but we had trouble
landing in the crosswind so we blamed it on Trump.

JW Scud

Heard a rumour that there are some airline pilots that have had the gall to raise the nose(subsequent to the initial rudder input for runway tracking) in order to rotate the aircraft to get airborne following a engine failure on the takeoff roll at V1.

Imagine.

Maybe it all has to do with things such as airspeed and flight path management.
Chuck Ellsworth

Which is more important, preventing the airplane from stalling or preventing the airplane from yawing?

[quote]

[font=Verdana]Heard a rumour that there are some airline pilots that have had the gall to raise the nose(subsequent to the initial rudder input for runway tracking) in order to rotate the aircraft to get airborne following a engine failure on the takeoff roll at V1. [/font][/quote]

I would guess that more pilots who read this forum are highly unlikely to ever fly an airline category airplane because they are general aviation pilots or student pilots, so they really have no need to think about how to fly an airline category airplane.