Hey Chuck, you’re not alone

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Trey Kule

Oh, I thought you were renewing your medical to teach float flying?

Slick Goodlin

I hadn’t even considered that the hang up here could be a chicken/egg thing with the booklet people waiting on your medical and the medical people waiting on the book.  If that’s the case, I wonder if you can have temporaries of both issued?  They may even be able to print them for you right there in the nearest TC office.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Oh, I thought you were renewing your medical to teach float flying?[/quote]

Yes, I am still considering doing that but I am still to tied up in house renovations to get started on the float training.

David MacRay

I have never seen any stickers. If you renew the booklet during a valid medical it comes with that information printed in that section.

I renewed my booklet, got a new medical then my doctor stamped it. Then a month and a half later they sent a second new booklet valid for 10 years instead of 5, the new one had the stamped medical printed in it.

When you get a medical done just as a new booklet is printed, if your Doctor stamped the old booklet and the current medical was missed in the new booklet, that is when you need to request a sticker. Some Doctors won't stamp the same medical twice.

The sticker is computer generated and I suspect the system won't print one if your booklet has not been renewed.

Chuck you mention a private helicopter license is it not in the booklet? I thought part of the reason they went to the booklet was to contain all your Canadian aviation related documents? That is why the medical is no longer a seperate document.

Why wouldn't you renew the booklet? You might as well get something for the fee you paid.

[quote]What do people who fly for a living do about it?[/quote]

I suspect most of them phone or e-mail Transport Canada. It's probably the only way to find out what they are up to. I do find it incredible how many ways they can do simple things differently in some cases.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=8625.msg23733#msg23733 date=1529844367]
phone or e-mail Transport Canada. It's probably the only way to find out what they are up to.[/quote]
I recommend phoning for the weird stuff.  In my experience the office folks have been nothing but pleasant and helpful.  Just remember that the person you phone pushes paper only, they have no capacity to change any rules no matter how dumb you tell them those rules are.

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=8625.msg23733#msg23733 date=1529844367][font=Verdana]I do find it incredible how many ways they can do simple things differently in some cases.[/font][/quote][font=Verdana]
Often that’s because the situation is obvious to you (because you’re living it) while all they have is a single, cold government application form in their hands.  I had a case once where they kept asking me to send in a copy of a guy’s flight test report, over and over.  At first I assumed they just lost the original but after the third request from the same clerk (who had confirmed reception of the previous couple) I did some digging and determined this candidate was trying to scam a type rating for a plane he’d never flown.[/font]
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Chuck you mention a private helicopter license is it not in the booklet? I thought part of the reason they went to the booklet was to contain all your Canadian aviation related documents? That is why the medical is no longer a seperate document.[/quote]

I finally became curious about what exactly is in that abortion they sent me to replace the license I could put in my wallet alongside my other cards such as my drivers license so I got it out of the junk drawer in the kitchen and actually read through it and low and behold there are a few pages where a doctor can sign the medical out so I guess a sticker would be redundant.

I have not really needed to read it before as I did not fly for a living in Canada when they sent that thing to me, and seeing as I have not flown for some years I did not need to look at it or carry it.

For what it is worth I hold three separate pilot licenses.

ATPL fixed wing.

Commercial Helcopter.

Commercial Gyroplane Pilot license.

The only one I carried when I was flying for a living was my FAA one.