What's the going rate for a ferry pilot these days?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Probably a VFR trip this time of year, delivering a C-registered light piston single to a dealer in the southern US.  What would an appropriate rate be nowadays?  I figure some amount plus expenses but what's a fair amount?

John Swallow

Eight years ago I "assisted" a low (quite low) time pilot fly a 182 from Alberta to the east coast.  I asked $200/day plus expenses.

I've done a couple recently, but only asked for expenses because I was friends with the individuals...
ScudRunner-d95

What I have done in the past ferrying light pistons is take an hourly rate say $30 bucks an hour X 8 hour "work" day so call that $240ish daily rate.

Anywhere from 200-300 I would think reasonable for a light piston plus expenses.

Side tip: If it is a dealer you might want repeat business so a professional invoice with the break down of hours and receipts is something to consider spending time on.  I have heard of people offering a guaranteed delivery price, so you might "make" a little more if you can make some time or loose a bit from a daily rate if you run into issues.

At the end of the day the cost should really be worth your time.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=8092.msg22424#msg22424 date=1521040885]At the end of the day the cost should really be worth your time.[/quote]
Fair enough.  I hashed it all out the other night and right now the timing is all wrong for me so I'll be politely declining.
David MacRay

Colonel

That's what I used to charge for a 421 checkout.  Took about
a half a day if the guy had a clue.  I thought it was pretty good
value, considering how much damage a newbie 421 pilot could
do.  I've mentioned that a couple of retired airline pilots did
$100,000 worth of damage to the engines of a 421.

I got the feeling most Canadians thought $500 to prevent
$100,000 worth of damage was too much money.  They
ought to meet my neighbors and see their Mclaren.

One of the reasons I quit instructing was a Mooney pilot from
Ottawa that gave me continuous static about Cdn$50 for flight
training for formation.  It really pissed him off, and I knew it
was time for me to head for the exit - he was a typical Canadian
pilot/owner.

USD$2249 (Cdn$2880) for a fucking switch, no typo:

[url=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... estall.php]http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... estall.php[/url]

and Cdn$50 (USD$40) for expert flight instruction was a "raw deal".

So, when I hear whining that there is an instructor shortage
in Canada, I can only smile.  Keep on wrecking those airplanes.
ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=8092.msg22501#msg22501 date=1521559925]
[/quote]

A month?

Trey Kule

Be serious scudster.  Even newbie CPLs,  make at least $600 a month.

I think really, the general question is to broad.  Flying a single engine 172 type is the target of the time builders who will do it for experience if they can find an owner to trust them not to abuse it to badly, or bend it.

On the other hand ferrying an aircraft that requires a type rating that must be kept current is another story.

IIRC, some of the companies that move new aircraft for the manufacturers start at about $600USD for singles ( from 2015) plus insurance, maps, charts expenses etc.  And the clock starts when they leave home until they are back home.  I am not sure how much of that actually ends up in the pilot’s pocket.

Slick Goodlin

Well, I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm delivering this thing tomorrow just out of the kindness of my heart.
Nark1

I just paid a guy $30/ hour to make the insurance happy. Certainly he has more Cessna 180 time, but the good man couldn't land it on the centerline to save (our) lives.

So to answer you're question: this particular man, $300 + a ticket back. 

It was a 2.5/3 hour flight from there to here.
After a pattern with him, the insurance should have been giving me money.