Your Instincts Are Wrong

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Shiny has previously mentioned that as an instructor for
many years, he was never asked by anyone to become a
skilled pilot.  (did I get that right?)

All people want is paper and a uniform and they climb
into the right seat and they are [b]winning[/b].

The few of us old guys still around are horrified that they
don't realize that they have cheated themselves and their
passengers.  They have nothing to rely on, when shit
goes south.

They are all style and no substance and they are loving
every minute of it.

[img width=500 height=375]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ac/af/ca/acaf ... armors.jpg[/img]

Oddly, they are mystified when I am not a big fan of them.

David MacRay

You missed the most important part.

People want to save money while getting their paper.

That was all part of why I joked about teaming up with Trey over at AvCanada, I suggested getting a van and a good computer. Setting up Microsoft flight sim in there and driving people around while they "learned to fly on instruments" in our "full motion simulator." We could even do one of those commercials where a guy in a bright coloured wig would smash prices with a huge mallet.

Sure you could go to a real flying school but why?
[move][b]OUR PRICES ARE INSANE!![/b][/move]

Part of the problem is probably a fraction of one percent of people are hired based on skill anywhere.

If you are a craftsman without a certificate what company will hire you?

If you can't use a hammer without hurting yourself or breaking things but you have a degree from a recognized institution you can be the boss.
Colonel

[quote]probably a fraction of one percent of people are hired based on skill anywhere[/quote]

Maybe in Canada.

https://www.interviewcake.com/google-in ... -questions
David MacRay

Outside of Canada people are hired to fly without certificates?

If you get jobs without showing any credentials that's cool.

Are you thinking because I have written, "Certified beats qualified." I believe education has no value? Because that is not my intended message.

I am just stating not everyone with the same certification is equally capable and a person with pretty minimal skills can get employment with certificates. If you have never seen that I am surprised. It's pretty common. Ask Mike Holms.

A highly skilled person can get employment with certificates. It is difficult for a person to get hired at most places without certificates.

Of course there are a few exceptions. I don't see how that is any more relevant to more than one percent of the population than the rudder pedals in an airplane. One percent means in Calgary there would be around ten thousand people that have been hired because they have skills instead of paper work.

Certificates are important. It [u]usually[/u] shows a person has the skill required to perform a task, tested to a some level of proficiency.

Anyways I'm sorry. I thought we were both complaining that most people wanting to become pilots, would rather do it via a University program in a nice plastic nose wheel trainer, instead of learning to fly in a cub while working as a plumber. You know, where instead of getting a degree they would learn to use the foot rests and fix a leaky pipe.
Four Bars

When you think about pilot training, most of what we do is either to correct a wrong instinct or to instill an instinct when there isn't one.
As flying is a relatively-new experience for mankind, we have not yet evolved to have the right instincts for it, if we have any at all.
Colonel

I think my error is that I originally thought that aviation
was about learning [b]new stuff[/b].  Not unlearning stuff I
already knew how to do.

David MacRay

Too often I need to re-learn stuff.

I have been fourtunate to have had lots of decent training. Not everyone has.