Instructing, you’re doing it wrong.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

He was doing what ?

98DB6251-4FA4-4A1E-A214-AD5300E83C45.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Did we just break the no new reasons for accidents rule or does this fall under the blanket of ‘Watch this’?
David MacRay

That’s a lesson they will never forget.
Colonel

The good news is they set a record for short field landing distance.

But seriously this is what you teach about the L39 on final. Because of the throttle lag, it is easy to slow down and set up an unrecoverable rate of descent. Stalling really isn’t the problem- the back side of the power curve is
Slick Goodlin

What’s weird is this sort of thing coincidentally came up in a totally different conversation today when a friend said, “If you get high on final in an Ercoupe apparently you can just haul the wheel all the way back.” Uh yeah, maybe try that one solo. I’ll watch from the ground.
Colonel

Saw an F-104 video recently. He touched down at 180 knots with 99% RPM.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Always liked it while in Learjet sim on the hot and high days and they failed an engine and jammed the flaps for sport. I recall ref speeds pretty close to that.

If memory serves the biggest thing they where getting you to think about was the tire limitation speed of 162 knots or some such thing.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:24 am
If memory serves the biggest thing they where getting you to think about was the tire limitation speed of 162 knots or some such thing.
Ah yes, those sims.

You’re single pilot, on fire with no flaps and the only usable approach has a tailwind:
“BuT wHaT aBoUt TiRe SpEeD?”
“Yeah just put it on my tab with the emergency guys. Kinda busy here.”
Colonel

the tire limitation speed of 162 knots
Like anybody gives a shit about that in real life.

Dear Old Dad had a systems failure in the F-104 after takeoff and did a no-BLC landing at an incredible speed at Cold Lake, well above the tire and drogue chute speed. Touchdown around 230 knots, had to wait until down to 200 knots to get down to max chute speed.

I guess the sim instructors would have ejected instead of landing safely? Ask them about a no-BLC approach.
digits

Colonel wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:48 pm
the tire limitation speed of 162 knots
Like anybody gives a shit about that in real life.

Dear Old Dad had a systems failure in the F-104 after takeoff and did a no-BLC landing at an incredible speed at Cold Lake, well above the tire and drogue chute speed. Touchdown around 230 knots, had to wait until down to 200 knots to get down to max chute speed.

I guess the sim instructors would have ejected instead of landing safely? Ask them about a no-BLC approach.
Why did he care about the max chute speed if he didn't care about the tire speed? I would imagine both have extra margins built in and would have worked fine outside the limitation?