Something is wrong with my brain.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Today I vacuumed, ate an apple, did some laundry, looked at some videos on the Internet, drove a car, ate a cheese burger, let someone photo copy my ADB, traded my wife's car key for a key and a binder for a Cessna 172, walked around looking at other 172s, found the one I was looking for in the hangar, put the flaps down on it, looked at the surfaces, checked the fuel for water, colour and quantity, pulled the plane out of the hangar, checked the oil level and went inside. there I met a new flight instructor, (Sorry Shiny) did some flight club paper work while she checked my homework sheet with speeds and stuff on it. Talked about things like, how fast do you go when you glide, how do you do a soft field landing and a few other things like that. Then I went flying. You get to change the frequency on the radio like 6 times at spring bank. ATIS, ground, inner tower, outer tower, Calgary terminal and a practice area frequency. Did a pretty good steep turn left, not as good a steep turn right, another steep turn right, some slow flight, turned in slow flight, horn blaring full nose up trim, did a look out, did a few stall recoverys. My new flight instructor buddy asked if I was happy with everything and wanted to go do circuits, I said, "I need a bit of practice but would like to go do some circuits for now." I descended and told my new buddy about how you guys hate "Any conflicting traffic please advise." Then I flew back to the airport. Mixed up being on base for one runway thinking I was on downwind for a deferent runway. Then ended up a bit too high to land, did an over shoot. Got on down wind for the correct runway. Got a bit high, got a bit too far left of the center line, got back to about the right place and finally landed without the instructor screaming or grabbing onto anything.

I was not happy with the landing but I'm going to go back and try to land nicer a few times later.

I don't want to buy a plane right now but I probably will want to again soon enough. I kind of want to buy a MoteCarlo SS.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Shiny link=topic=7095.msg19411#msg19411 date=1506351200]
Could be worse. Periodically my brain thinks it would be a good idea to try and mate two C145s into an H block engine for... reasons. Then I think in a more reasonable manner, wtf am I going to do with that?!
[/quote]
Tiny Typhoon.  Duh.
David MacRay

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=7095.msg19427#msg19427 date=1506391164]
Tiny Typhoon. 
[/quote]

Solid midget wrestler name right there.
David MacRay

Ok, so I just slightly more than doubled my usual yearly flight hours today.
2.2 for 2017

I have not flown that much since 2013. Here I did it in less than two weeks.

I am pretty pleased with my flying and maybe more so my ability to actually comunicate on the radio, change to the next frequency,  maintain a reasonable idea where I am, where I want to go, what I intend to do there, etc. while flying.  Kind of funny there are more frequencies to go through flying between the practice area and Springbank CYBW now than there were flying out of CYYC back in the 1990s.

I'm not saying it is difficult but there is a much higher radio work load, changing frequencies and reporting to the next level of ATC, compared to using only two, the airport frequency and 126.7 in Okatoks and Highriver. Fortunately I am pretty chatty so it's coming along quite nicely.

Before I started this thread, it was over a year since I flew, I was not sure about going back to YBW after I left in 2012, I was even considering not flying anymore period, that was why I posted saying I should not have been shopping for an airplane.

Now I'm planning to do it a bit more often next year, provided they renew my medical in December.

Currently I don't feel like buying a plane today. I might buy a rudder/stabilizer kit and see where that leads but I need a work space before going much beyond the rudder.
Nark1

Dave,

You should check out Jason Ellis on Youtubes.  He is building an RV.  Put together really great videos series. 
The best way to describe it/him, is that he is speaking [i]with[/i] you, in the video, not speaking at you, like EVERY OTHER YouTube personality.

I plan on flying down when I get back to stop in and say hello, when I get back and buy him a coffee.  Really nice guy.
David MacRay

That Jason Ellis seems nicer but not as funny as the one my buddy likes to listen to on XM radio. I stopped watching before I wanted to but an RV-8 again.

I did stumble on another guy that was pretty interesting. I don't know what engine he was using but he pieced together a plane for $6200 us. Maybe if I saw it in person I would not fly it but in the video it looked good.

I'm almost happy and want to rent 172s for a while.
Colonel

Find someplace that will rent you a Citabria or Decathlon
or really anything tube & fabric.  Smaller the airport, the
better.  The kind of place that doesn't mind if you takeoff
or land on the infield or the taxiway.

Try not to climb above 500 feet for the entire flight.
David MacRay

Well they meet half of your criteria. I'm going to make sure this flying thing isn't just a phase before I try their American Champion. Unless it is cheaper than the 172s, then I might look into it sooner.
Colonel

People think you need one of these to enjoy flying:

[img width=500 height=302][/img]

Nah.  All you need is this:

[img width=500 height=245][/img]