Something is wrong with my brain.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Talk to me about it.

DirtySmellingPropBlast

Go dual and just have fun with the instructor and the airplane - If your instructor is green ask tough questions and get entertainment from it!
Nark1

I understand your plight. 
I'm shopping for a gently used 180. I've found a few I'd like to look at. I'd have to get rid of the Stinson, simply because I can't justify having two aircraft. 
As for owning, as a cost savings. Nope. Nope nope.

It's everything to do with schedule freedom. I've often dropped what I've been doing and go for a hop around the patch, simply to 'work the oil.'  I love it. 
The aircraft is always the way I left it. It's always sparks conversations at fly-in events. 
And has helped 'seal the deal' with the ladies.  But that's a perk of the past...

Regardless, but a plane because you want to , not to justify cost. Because you never will.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=7095.msg19227#msg19227 date=1505793547]
Pretty sure flying won't solve my, "I want an airplane." issue.[/quote]
If you're anything like me, it won't.  I'm lucky enough to have the run of all sorts of neat airplanes but I still badly want my own.
David MacRay

I like to shop for motorcycles too. I think I want a street glide or Honda F6B, but after a few rides the new one would suffer the neglect of my current bike. Poor thing needs new fuel and a battery.
Colonel

You can never have enough airplanes or motorcycles.
David MacRay

I like the concept but when a bunch of them are going sour from neglect, you have too many.

Kermit Weeks is an exceptional pilot that flys a lot more planes than most regular guys could.
Colonel

[quote]sour from neglect[/quote]

Aircraft have 100LL which doesn't go soupy and varnish,
so what you need is new W100 oil with 10% camguard
and a battery tender.  If you can keep it in a hangar and
keep the mice out of it, you're ok for a while.

For motorcycles, you need fuel stabilizer - I like Seafoam,
not that red stuff - and a battery tender.  They don't seem
to be nearly as prone to internal engine corrosion.  Change
the oil once a year is all it needs.  Just run something with
no moly in it, to avoid slipping the wet clutch.  Rotella T6
went to the dark side.  I use full synthetic Mobil One
diesel.  Again, gotta keep the varmints out, and inside.
David MacRay

Excellent plan. I suspect you could own 15-25 motorcycles before you started having a tough time keeping up.

I only want about five but already parked two beyond their limits. Poor defenseless machines. I feel some remorse. Too bad they were not air cooled because they are both two strokes so they would have been easier to revive without the probably nasty coolant in them.
Chris

Your brain?

I have an overwhelming urge to spend a small fortune on a kit plane that won't really fit in my garage and then spend years building the thing. The only thing saving me is that I can't afford a mortgage and airplane at the same time.