Ramp checks.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Does TCCA still do ramp checks?

John Swallow

Good question.  Considering the shortage of Inspectors to do other things, I'd be surprised if many were being carried out.

Anybody else?
Liquid Charlie

Once in a while in T Bay they will wander down to the ramp area. The hazmat people seem to be around more often these days checking certificates.
Chuck Ellsworth

They check you for hazmat certificates?

Who do they check?
ScudRunner-d95

Have not heard of anyone getting one in years on the private or corporate side. You would think they would want to check out some nice shiny bizjets. 
TundraTire

Any ramp checks we've had, we've known about in advance.

I'd guess that "random" ramp checks only occur when there's a complaint or reasonable suspicion of something illegal.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Any ramp checks we've had, we've known about in advance.[/quote]

What purpose does doing advance notice ramp checks serve?

And what exactly do they do when doing these checks?
Liquid Charlie

It's true chuck the TC dangerous goods/hazmat inspectors have ramped me to check crew certificates. I find it ironic that if there is no hazmat the crew need not be trained but such is life - what a priceless example of generating paper and bullshit. I have never done a hazmat course yet that really meant anything to me as a pilot. Typical knee jerk reaction to an issue that needs not be so complicated. Dumbing down at it's best
Chuck Ellsworth

When I owned a charter company I had to attend a Hazmat training program.

The very first thing the Hazmat trainer did was hold up a can of WD40 and said this a dangerous goods that comes under our hazmat rules.

I got up and started to walk out and he said where are you going.

I said home because I have more important things that need doing than listen to this moronic garbage.

So obviously I don't have hazmat approval either Charlie.  :)
ScudRunner-d95

Is Jet-A in the tanks considered hazardous goods?