10 Year Prop Overhaul Canada

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Just browsing the COPA magazine, they briefly mention

“Ten- year propeller overhaul: we are looking toward new data to reintroduce the topic with Transport Canada”

I think in the states it’s time on prop limit.

What about the rest of the world ? Is Canada a special place that props go flying apart after 10 years ?

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
trey kule

Of course not.

They fly apart at 10 years and one day. That is why the limit of 10 years.
The life limit was determined by TC after a gender inclusive, equal rights assessment that Canadians expect and deserve.

What! Didyou think they just arbitrarily pulled that 10 year limit from out of the air.?
Slick Goodlin

Wait, what? All props?
Nark

Jokes on you guys: the Twin Beech’s Ham Stan props are 5 years, so I guess it’s 10 years per airplane.

Thankfully I wasn’t dumb enough to buy the Spruce Goose.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
anofly

All constant speed props..
Data from a respected canadian prop shop , shows most props on imported american planes, that are often way past 10 yrs since overhaul, regularly fail inspection criteria for overhaul...
digits

What's the weakest spot on constant speed props? Let's say you keep running them indefinitely, what kind of failure mode is to be expected first?

Is it a matter of not holding RPM properly anymore, desintegration of the blade due to centrifugal forces, the whole thing exploding, something else ... ?
Squaretail

The few I have seen fail their inspections had too much filed off of them. Props run on gravel if improperly handled can take a lot of wear.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

I have an avoid range of 1850-2000 RPM (I think, it’d have to check the POH) on the Beech. So there’s is harmonic resonance in there too.

*caution thread derail*
Even though you asked about constant speed, my Stinson’s MET-L prop had an avoid range as well (2100-2300 RPM if is can recall).

Ground resonance is a pretty big thing for helicopters too (depending on the make up of the hub). A pretty well known example is in the opening scene to a McGyver episode when they get dropped off on the roof of an LA skyscraper.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
anofly

Well the one failure mode that created an AD on steel hub Hartzell props , had to do with corrosion . The props might be 20 years plus since overhaul in the usa , and they shed the odd blade....
They improved the blade clamp design to hold them together.... very small corrosion pits will condem a blade to scrap...
Nark

Speaking of props:

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com