China Eastern 737 crash March 21/2022

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TundraTire

china_eastern_b738_b-1791_guangzhou_220321_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

Don’t really need the ADS-B data for that.

Did residents report a sonic boom before impact? They must have been well over Mach one.
vanNostrum

Is the tail missing?
Looks like a missile
Terrifying last moments for all onboard RIP
There are only 3 kind of people in this world
Those that can add and those that can't
Colonel

Generally when you lose really big parts of an airplane, it comes down spinning and tumbling and rotating, more like a maple tree seed, than a dart.
digits

I'm wondering if the picture could be misleading and if it the plane was actually banked 90 degrees.
Colonel

At the risk of repeating myself, remember that ADS-B is derived from an onboard GPS which records groundspeed not airspeed. In a vertical downline your groundspeed is zero while your airspeed can be very high.
Slick Goodlin

digits wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:56 am
I'm wondering if the picture could be misleading and if it the plane was actually banked 90 degrees.
Probably. There are pictures of one winglet at the crash site and as the Colonel said it would be hard for it to come down so straight if the other wing was missing in whole or part.
Rosco P Coltrane
Location: Behind a billboard in Hazard County watching for spambots.

vanNostrum wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm
Is the tail missing?
Looks like a missile
Terrifying last moments for all onboard RIP
There’s a screenshot from a video floating around, the tail is missing, but tough to say, who knows if it’s real or not.
Colonel

I'd be looking at the jackscrews in the other 737-800's in that fleet - Alaska Airlines, anyone?

Anyone remember when the tail broke off a Russian airliner, a few decades back, a stewardess
strapped into it actually survived? It didn't come straight down like a missle, obviously.

In the case of this accident, I'm sure they're looking around for all the big pieces. If they're
not all in one place, that's sure suspicious. When my friend Joe tore the wing off an experimental,
it was found quite some distance from the primary accident site.

The photos of the impact scene are bizarre. The tiny bits scattered around are not even
recognizable as aircraft parts. This went in fast. I remember with previous high speed/
small crater accidents, sometimes they have to dig deep to find stuff buried 10 or even
20 feet underground.