Where to live now?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Hey everyone, hope all are doing well. So this one is a little vague and definitely going to be opinion based but I wanna hear it. I am currently training in Brampton, and just found out there is a good chance my wife ( who is still enlisted ) will be getting posted in about 8 to 10 weeks.... We are currently sitting here trying to decide where would make sense for the both of us? I want Thunder Bay ON, I think it would be a great place to get a job after my CPL. She wants BC.

What do all you fine pilots think is a good place to start out? Keeping in mind it needs to be near some type of military establishment and they need to have an opening.

Anyway, fire away. I'm all ears.

Squaretail

Don’t go to Thunder Bay, that place killed Terry Fox.

Remember, B.C. = Bring Cash.

I’d recommend getting posted to Edmonton. Good place to live, Alberta is still reasonable for pilot opportunities.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

Well it was cancer..... But is there is real reason I should take TBay off the table?

Edmonton would be likely they have a lot of military positions there, also in Cold Lake?
Squaretail

Winter can be pretty horrific in TB as I recall. It’s also in Onterrible. Full disclosure, I’m from Alberta.

Winter can be bad in Edmonton as well, and as I recall has the distinction of being the drunk driving capital of Canada. But that said, I imagine being a large base, CFB Namao may have a good pick of positions. The 4 airports around Edmonton should suffice for training and a career step. Especially if you decide to instruct, the FTUs in Alberta are going flat out still.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TundraTire

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 am
We are currently sitting here trying to decide where would make sense for the both of us?

She wants BC.
You answered your own question.
TwinOtterFan

TundraTire wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:58 am
TwinOtterFan wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 am

She wants BC.
You answered your own question.
This? Lol.
Chuck Ellsworth

I have lived all over Canada and moved to B.C. ( Nanaimo. ) in 1980.

It is almost like living in the tropics and it was the best move I ever made.
CpnCrunch

Where abouts in BC, and do you qualify for housing? I see they have single family homes for $1500/month in Esquimalt, which is the deal of the century.
TwinOtterFan

I think it would likely be Esquimalt, not sure what the married quarters situation is there yet, it's not great over here. That would definitely be the best way to go though.

I heard there may be spots in Kamloops, but not sure yet either.
TwinOtterFan

Basically the way it works is you put down your 3 preferences and then they see if that fits what they need.