Life in the Slow Lane

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

I figured I’d post some pics of last week’s adventure, when I ferried a Cub nearly 700 miles at 75mph. A nice plane, it had an O-200 and tankage galore in the wings though the wheels skis installed were draggy and I think are to blame for a poor climb rate.

Anyways, I couldn’t have asked for better weather and the trip was a ball. The Cub was the centre of attention everywhere it went. As an added bonus(?) all my friends think I’m nuts now so I guess if another ferry opportunity comes up I’ll probably get that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck Ellsworth

It may be slow but it is pure flying fun.
Slick Goodlin

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:18 am
It may be slow but it is pure flying fun.
Absolutely. No GPS, just map and compass and only needed a radio for the first and last five minutes of the 8.5 total flight time. It was a good day.
David MacRay

Everything except the lack of climb performance sounds awesome!

Add a slice of pizza and a Dr Pepper and it would be one of those perfect days.
TwinOtterFan

This is just awesome.
Liquid_Charlie

Now that brings back memories
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

This got me thinking of a slightly crazy but kinda awesome idea.

Instead of flying the same two legs over and over building xc time it would be pretty neat to just fly all over and meet all you awesome people.

Just fly in say hey, have a coffee, and then plan the next flight.
Liquid_Charlie

cm'on to sioux lookout and I'll take you and your for a jet boat ride :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Slick Goodlin

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:23 pm
This got me thinking of a slightly crazy but kinda awesome idea.

Instead of flying the same two legs over and over building xc time it would be pretty neat to just fly all over and meet all you awesome people.

Just fly in say hey, have a coffee, and then plan the next flight.
I wholly endorse this plan, with a couple additions.

“Fly all over” can mean different things to different people but if your plan is to cross the country be aware that it can take time. Lots of time. A couple years ago a friend of mine flew a homebuilt Super Cub from Guelph to Kelowna to see his daughter but thanks to the variability of weather and the long distances between viable stops it took him over two weeks just to get there! I’d suggest regularly keeping it within an hour of base with occasional expansion way beyond once you have some experience. This is not me saying ‘don’t do it’ more just giving a heads up on how you can corner yourself and need to plan around it.

As for the coffee, go for lunch or something. Make it count! Meet other aviators, go to fly-ins to meet more people, go to their BBQs, meet more people, fly other planes, go on adventures together, etc.
TwinOtterFan

I had already been wondering to myself what would be an acceptable amount of hours/experience before venturing farther from the nest so to speak.

I'm training in Brampton hoping to have my own plane somewhere nearby but not their. So far on the list I have

Pembroke (served in Petawawa)
Thunder bay
Sioux lookout
Considering Manitoba as well (served at 17 Wing ad well)
Not sure where else yet.

I do have a young family and commitments and they do cause me to pause and reconsider things I would have jumped straight into before them. But I could definitely take a couple weeks and do a trip. After I am comfortable to do so.