Chicago and Indianapolis

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
BCPilotguy

I'm planning on flying down to Indianapolis at the end of September for the Red Bull Races on October 1 and 2.  So far the plan is to clear customs in Minot ND, then carry on to Chicago, tourist around there for a few days then head to Indianapolis for the races.

Any recommendations for airports in Indianapolis and Chicago for a GA airplane?  The park where Meigs Field used to be, perhaps?  >:D  How about stops along the way, any good aviation attractions, good fuel stops, or restaurants I should check out rather than passing overhead?

David MacRay

I wish I could be helpful. 20 years ago it was hard to go wrong with American FBOs, I hear it is still like that. They make you feel like flying is a good thing. Very helpful and just plain nice.

There were a few in Canada like that but more down south.
ScudRunner-d95

[url=http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ ... rport-kpwk]http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ ... rport-kpwk[/url]

Found the above about Chicago, all I know is Midway and I don't think you want to go there.
Also the drive from the FBO to the hotel reminded me of Detroit (before RoboCop Cleaned it up)  C:-)
Nark1

Both have been my stomping grounds.

As for Chicago: duPage (KDPA) is probably your best bet. From there you can jump on a train and go right downtown. Meigs field is just a park now. There are tons of things to see downtown. Willis tower is the old Sears tower. They have an observation platform. Grab a Chicago style pizza. (There's a million pizza joints to chooses from, all equally as good)

Indianapolis: Eagle Creek (KEYE) is closest to downtown. It's on the Nw side across the highway from the Indy 500. The downtown core is very small and very easy to walk around. They have a beautiful canal trail system.
If you have a few extra moments head east towards Dayton, OH and there is a grass strip along side Wilber Wrights birth place.  Quant little museum.

Send me a PM and your welcome to a hangar for the night at KMWC. (Milwaukee Timmerman)
BCPilotguy

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=3282.msg9304#msg9304 date=1465384444]
I wish I could be helpful. 20 years ago it was hard to go wrong with American FBOs, I hear it is still like that. They make you feel like flying is a good thing. Very helpful and just plain nice.

There were a few in Canada like that but more down south.
[/quote]

I did a flying trip through most of the western states a couple years ago and I can confirm that while the flying is probably better in Canada (no TFRs, fewer restricted areas, less traffic etc.) the landing is definitely much better in the USA.  I was blown away by the service that I received down there.

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=3282.msg9307#msg9307 date=1465391993]
[url=http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ ... rport-kpwk]http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ ... rport-kpwk[/url]

Found the above about Chicago, all I know is Midway and I don't think you want to go there.
Also the drive from the FBO to the hotel reminded me of Detroit (before RoboCop Cleaned it up)  C:-)
[/quote]

Their description of Chicago style pizza made me drool.  Pre-Robocop Detroit sounds like a horizon expanding cultural experience, something I always seek when I travel.

[quote author=Nark link=topic=3282.msg9322#msg9322 date=1465423145]
Both have been my stomping grounds.

As for Chicago: duPage (KDPA) is probably your best bet. From there you can jump on a train and go right downtown. Meigs field is just a park now. There are tons of things to see downtown. Willis tower is the old Sears tower. They have an observation platform. Grab a Chicago style pizza. (There's a million pizza joints to chooses from, all equally as good)

Indianapolis: Eagle Creek (KEYE) is closest to downtown. It's on the Nw side across the highway from the Indy 500. The downtown core is very small and very easy to walk around. They have a beautiful canal trail system.
If you have a few extra moments head east towards Dayton, OH and there is a grass strip along side Wilber Wrights birth place.  Quant little museum.

Send me a PM and your welcome to a hangar for the night at KMWC. (Milwaukee Timmerman)
[/quote]

I was leaning toward DuPage for Chicago, and Eagle Creek seems really convenient being that the races are being held at the Motor Speedway.  I looked up that airport in Dayton, looks like it might be a worthwhile side trip.  You can get a ride in a replica Wright Flyer there for $100, sounds like fun.  If I find myself in Milwaukee I'll definitely take you up on the hangar, thanks!

I haven't had the chance to do a good long flying trip for a couple of years so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Nark1

I'd say the scenes are about identical as you fly close to the border. One thing I enjoy down here is our ability to flight follow with the ARTCC's. I can't remember the last time I've filed a VFR flight plan.

I use forefight to plan my fuel stops, as you can upload gas prices really easily. If you run Mogas, their are a few websites that have airport locations.  There aren't a lot, maybe 1-2 per state on average. 

Safe travels, and take lots of pics.