A Flying Food Truck?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

I’ve long joked about getting a Short Skyvan and a KFC franchise and mashing the two together but realistically that’s not a lifestyle I would ever want nor do I think you would come close to breaking even.

Still, I like the idea of a flying food truck maybe for airshows or something and was daydreaming about it again today. I figure that there’s probably no economical airplane you would want to cook inside so it becomes more a matter of arriving and deploying, sort of like a food tent at a county fair... but with a plane. So you’d need the space to haul in your cooking equipment, table(s?) and coolers of food and drinks and it has to be economical enough to keep your books in the black, even if just barely.

So for discussion’s sake, how would you do it?*

*Disclaimer: I’m not actually doing it.

Liquid_Charlie

If money was no object - aircraft large enough for a sea-can. Sea-can, a self contained food "truck" - just roller out the back.

Need to charge a lot for them burgers trying to recoup your millions. Like to old saying, "how do you make a million bucks in aviation ------- start with 2 million :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

I’m with Liquid Charlie. This seems like a great idea after a Super 7 win.

A nice C-130 should be able to get the job done. Sea-can kitchen and maybe a second one for the refrigerator.

A caravan with equipment that would need a bit more set up might be a nice challenge. It would be best to take it places with a good food supply chain.
Slick Goodlin

Yeah no doubt it would just be a bottomless pit to throw money into.

I was thinking the spectacle of it all might be a big part of the appeal. I figure something with some history, or can pretend to have history, like say a Norseman on wheels in WWII liaison colours with a custom tent/awning that uses a good part of one wing for shelter. A deep fryer would be a poor choice to have to load and unload but a propane flat top ought to work well enough. Like I said, this would be a dedicated thing for airshows so Han it up a bunch and sell some t shirts Andy stuff while you’re at it.

Come to think of it the Bird Innovator had a built-in STC’ed operating theatre and was plumbed for steam for disinfecting purposes, perhaps it could be suitably modified into a flying smokehouse...
Liquid_Charlie

Back in ancient times there was a pig boat flying hookers to remote camps - far more fun than a kitchen - lmfaooooo
Slick Goodlin

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:34 am
there was a pig boat flying hookers to remote camps - far more fun than a kitchen
At least my customers only risk getting the trots - not the clap!
Nark

First off: too funny of an ad that pops up, while I’m surfing this in Puerto Rico...
5277A620-9EF6-4158-910D-C0D5DA616CB6.png
Secondly, a clapped out former freight Beech 18. You could dress it up a little as a C45 paint scheme and because they’re not quite at the museum level of antique bird, banging it up a little while you setup/dismantle at air shows isn’t as much of a concern.

Other idea is a C-23 Sherpa (Shorts 360). There’s enough room for a lot of shit, and the ramp could prove useful...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I was thinking I should get a Navajo and fill the back
With buckets of KFC. Fly over hot spots like Lac Brochet, Tadule Lake, Gods Lake Narrows blaring the ice cream man song out a loud speaker like on the bird dogs

Land and commence capitalism.

Hmm maybe I’ll run the numbers while in quarantine
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Liquid_Charlie

Back in the day an infamous bootlegger out of red lake would fill his 170 up with packets of yeast and sell them in the north at a dollar/package.

Oh the days of home brew in the north -
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:59 pm
buckets of KFC... Land and commence capitalism.
I used to see a guy doing that in Northwestern Ontario as a side hustle. He’d fly a chartered PC-12 up to the resort, deplane the passengers, then start selling KFC out of the back at fifty bucks a bucket, cash only. Neither the company nor tax man were any the wiser to it all so I imagine he did pretty well.