C421B Short Field Landing Record

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

anofly

someone will easily tie that record....
Slick Goodlin

Saves a bunch of effort later to just klomp the thing down in the dump like that.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

honourable mention for the effort.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

Apparently the guy in the 421 survived. Amazing. Typically piston twin failures are fatal
for everyone on board. Perhaps what made the difference is that BOTH engines failed,
so he didn't have to deal with asymmetric thrust, which always seems to end up inverted.

Even with the power of a turbine ... here's a King Air doing a Vmc demo:

I've always said that when you have low energy and an engine failure in a piston twin,
pulling both throttles is generally the best (but rarely used) choice.

eg ... just after rotation, 10 feet. Engine failure, yaw. Just pull both throttles. Gear is
still down. Land on remaining runway. If you run off the end, it's far more survivable
than an inverted Vmc landing. People won't be surprised, anyways and certified runways
are supposed to have that mush at the end. I used to be the Operator of a certified
airport and I got nastygrams about that, all the time.

If you have an engine failure in a piston twin at 10 feet and you decide to continue
flying, I hope you are empty with a very low density altitude and 20 minutes of fuel.