TC Discovers The Wind

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

Just got this emailed to me:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... 020-12.PDF
potential for damage to components of flight control systems if an aeroplane is exposed to strong winds
I am not making this sh1t up. Over 100 years of powered human flight,
and just now, TC has figured out that sometimes, it can get breezy.

John Swallow

Methinks you're a little harsh; from the incident report, it appears that the operators didn't know it either...

:lol:
Liquid_Charlie

Alright TC spouting the obvious and then quoting manuals. What else can you expect, stupid generates paper. Shit does happen but in this day of "set it and forget it" it's a sad statement to where things have dumbed down to.

The total irony of the incident is that TC hints to external locks and yet on the other side of their face they will shit on you for not having an approved lock. We went through all that bullshit with home brew rudder locks for the 748.

Here's the bottom line, back in the day the drivers would all be at the base trying to prevent that from happening. I have been nicely sitting in a bar and have left the warmth and loving arms of a blueberry blond to save aircraft from damage during bad wx. Most pilots do not have that kind of dedication any more, Catch phrase, "not my job and I'm not getting paid to do that" . I guess we were just stupid but then again with incentive pay and an aircraft U/S it was money out of our pockets but I doubt anyone really thought about that at the time. We would even help the guys next door, there were no company lines back then, pilots were a universal group and always helped one another. I have to blame TC for a lot for the loss of this mentality. Turned a large group of pilots into a bunch finger pointing weenies. As I have said before it has generated the phrase, "but it's legal" which I have observed as not always safe.

With the introduction of GPS in my world the most important tool was home brew approaches. I have seen all the criticism by the shocked and indignant but given the option to line up with a runway or do some stupid circling approach it always seemed to me a "no brainer". It was familiar territory and obstructions were well known. and even then with the displaced accuracy being a wing span or 2 off the centre line was far better than the "safe" TC canada approved NDB, shit I was home brewing straight in NDB approaches long before GPS and even some commercial broadcast stations in play as well along with Teletype signals. Even with a transmitter 1/2 a mile off airport you could still do a straight in to the runway it you established a track outside of five miles and then just held the runway heading. GPS turned this into PFM. Transport still thinks GPS is some sort of mystical device and should be treated like it's something supernatural -- fuck me, in reality you can navigate to a set of co-ordinates at the intersection of 2 runways and have 4 approaches from a single point. I guess that kind of thinking is just to simple for the boys.

So yes what the fuck were these guys thinking and with today's wx reporting why didn't they check the forecast before parking, a blow like that is not a surprise any more. Like I said, "shit happens" but stupidity makes it happen more often.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Colonel

I couldn't understand the incredible hostility towards LORAN and GPS
from TC. I thought they increased safety. I asked, "If someone tried to
certify NDB/ADF today for IFR, would they be successful?"

Of course not. ADF had plenty of problems. Never got an answer to
that question.

We all home-brewed approaches, and used "VFR-only" nav to really improve
our NDB approaches! Really improved safety.

I realized that TC didn't care about safety. They were all about CONTROL.
See, they didn't control those "VFR-only" LORAN and GPS. TC wanted you
to think that that those "unapproved" nav radios were killing hundreds of
pilots a week. Total bullshit.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Ron Brown died during an NDB approach. No
one remembers him, no one gives a shit. The USAF gave portable GPS to
all of it's pilots after that. The complete opposite of TC.
Slick Goodlin

Someone else was telling me about this email the other day. How come I didn’t get an email from TC? I wanna know about wind too and I don’t think PDW posts on AdCan anymore.
Colonel

Obviously TC thinks you're a lot smarter than I am.

PS. I thought PDW was a hoot. Wasn't he the guy with the ancient Mercedes
at St Catharines?

When I encounter comedic gold, I don't get angry - I laugh!