Let's get this project for fixing up during the isolation.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Or this. Newer, plus there are 5 airframes. That's a lot of spares.

https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... ata-rallye
Eric Janson

I don't think either one is a realistic option imho.
Colonel

182: Continentals don't suffer from the same internal corrosion problems. Plus it's in AZ!

I think it's a great idea! Hint: price is always negotiable!!

Dumb question: would TC threaten to revoke your pilot licence and citizenship if you purchased it?
David MacRay

How much are you thinking?

It flew five years ago and it's slightly under half the price of other units. Seems pretty reasonable. I wonder what it needs?

My biggest concern would be trying to get the oversight committee to let me import it. That could cost millions of dollars. Maybe more.
Colonel

Ever watch a corny "reality" show called "Fast & Loud"? There's a used car salesman
with a terrible wig, called Rotten Richie Rollins or something, that is a master of negotiation
probably because he can't do anything else. You know how people that go blind can
start to hear hypersonic sounds, right?

I digress. Observe his technique. Lowball to the point that you risk violence being
done to your body, and always be reluctant. Whatever he responds with, put on a
face like you just bit into a lemon and reply, "Is that the best you can do?"

I'd offer 10 grand - if he's got a complete set of logbooks and no liens.

Meta-lesson: you can learn an enormous amount from @ssholes and morons, even
those with really bad hairpieces.
David MacRay

One of my top three buddys sounds perfect for the lead on negotiations.

I would always keep walking ahead at swap meets because I would get embarrassed when he opens the bidding. I suspect he'd start at $97.38 Canadian. Convincingly explaining why the seller must be a dreamer to expect much more.

I suppose I could get a hairpiece.
digits

How does that work to import a plane in pieces? I doubt there would be 5 certificate of registrations? Let's say you only want to get one flying, can you legally use the imported spares from the other junk you bought?
David MacRay

In the real world? I kind of doubt it.

I'm only guessing, but I suspect there would be so much paperwork it could take decades to get through.

The 182 might be a little easier but there might be that one little snag that TC decides they don't want to let go.

One would need to see it in person but in my day dream if you get it for $30,000 put $50,000 into a decent engine rebuild, $8,000 into radios. You might have a nice plane for less than the cost of one with time on the engine.

You probably know more than most of us here since you actually own a plane tight now and seem involved in the maintenance.
Nark

I bought my 182 for $64k (USD). It had just undergone a prop strike tear down. 175 SMOH (in 2012) and 0 prop after the inspection.
Flyable right now, all the logbooks and probably very easy to import.

Sometime projects turn in to money and time pits. But, like you said, a great quarantine waster.

My dream is a turbine powered RV10.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com