My Favorite CADORS

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

CADORS Number:2004C1774 Occurrence Category(ies):
Navigation Errors
Occurrence Information
Occurrence Type:Incident Occurrence Date:2004-09-10
Occurrence Time:2000 Z Day Or Night:day-time
Fatalities:0 Injuries:
Canadian Aerodrome ID:CYXD Aerodrome Name:EDMONTON CITY CENTRE / BLATCHFORD AB (CYXD)
Occurrence Location:City Centre
Province:Alberta TC Region:Prairie and Northern Region

Reported By:

NAV CANADA
AOR Number:42329
TSB Class Of Investigation:Class 3 TSB Occurrence No:A04W0200
Occurrence Event Information
Aircraft Information
Registration Mark:FGXH Foreign Registration:
Flight #:TGO 987 Flight Rule:
Aircraft Category:Aeroplane Country of Registration: Canada
Make:BEECH Model:C90A
Year Built:1987 Amateur Built:No
Engine Make:PRATT & WHITNEY-CAN Engine Model:PT6A-21
Engine Type:Turbo prop Gear Type:Land
Phase of Flight:Approach Damage:No Damage
Owner:GOVERNMENT OF CANADA, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT
Operator:GOVERNMENT OF CANADA, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT (2134)
Operator Type:State CARs Subpart:
Aircraft Event Information

Navigation error
Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:2004-09-13

Narrative:
The crew of TGO 987, a Beech King Air, was being vectored for a LOC BC/DME approach to Runway 16 at City Centre airport (YXD) in IFR weather conditions. The aircraft was vectored onto final and cleared for the approach. The a/c was then observed to be descending well below minimum altitudes and turning east off the approach, while advising Edmonton ACC that they were conducting a missed approach - 10 miles from the airport. The flight was unable to maintain headings or altitudes. On the second approach, the aircraft was again observed descending below published minimum altitudes and provided an incorrect DME readout - 4.7 miles instead of 10 miles, while once again diverging from the back course, to the west this time. The flight was able to convert to a visual approach and land safely.
Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:2004-09-15

Narrative:
UPDATE TSB reported that the Transport Canada Beech C90A, C-FGXH, operating as TGO 987 (CAR 703) was manoeuvring for a LOC BC/DME approach to Runway 16 at Edmonton City Centre (CYXD) in instrument meteorological conditions following a flight from Regina. After the aircraft was vectored onto the final approach track, ATC radar showed the aircraft to descend below minimum altitude and deviate to the east. The aircraft conducted a missed approach 10 NM from the airport. On the second approach, the aircraft again descended below published altitudes, exhibited speed fluctuations, and deviated to the west of the approach course. The crew was eventually able to go visual and land at CYXD. The TSB will conduct a Class 3 investigation into the occurrence.
Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Chuck Ellsworth

AAhhh yes, and to make it even more unbelievable there were six T.C. inspectors in that thing coming back from a T.C. refresher course.

The only thing I can think of was they left the course to early. :mrgreen:

When you are to inept to get a job the only place left to go is T.C.
David MacRay

Do you need a license to fly for them? That looks like one of those stories from India where the pilot bought one.

Seriously, how do you miss by that much on vectors.
Chuck Ellsworth

Good question.

Which brings up the question of the quality of any license issued by these issuers of licenses.

The abortion they send you looks like something you would find in a kids cereal box.

I never ever carried my Canadian license when I was flying overseas because I would have felt embarrassed to show it to anyone, thankfully I had a FAA license that looks like a license.

And a European Airdisplay Authority license for flying in the airshow circuit in Europe. :mrgreen:

And every year I had to pass a flight test to prove I could meet the required flying skills level to hold the license.
David MacRay

You don't like passports?
Chuck Ellsworth

You don't like passports?
Of course I like my passport.

But I find it bizarre that T.C. poached that format for their pilot license.

I also am aware that my opinion is just that, my opinion and understand that others may not agree with it.
d
David MacRay

Suggesting that issuing me a license is silly might be right. I love the blue book though, it's marvellous.
Colonel

I'm sure TC thinks you are far more deserving of a pilot licence, than I

:^)

My favorite CADORS was when TC bounced a King Air gear up off the runway at Gatineau,
and instead of immediately landing at Gatineau, as any prudent pilot would, they carelessly
and recklessly decided to fly their damaged King Air, raining parts over downtown Ottawa,
back to CYOW.

That could have ended very badly, indeed.

Another time, TC whacked a prop of their 182 at CYSH, and instead of doing the required
engine teardown, they flew in another prop, switched it and flew home.

Amazing.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:13 am
Seriously, how do you miss by that much on vectors.
Unfortunately this CADOR is right at the intersection of a lack of practice and being convinced they’re above everyone else. A couple years ago I was on a training flight when TC was given some common instruction from ATC. I forget what it was but everyone reading this forum would immediately have understood it and most English speaking people could have guessed it right but the inspector flying had absolutely no comprehension of what was being asked of them. Kind of scary.
Colonel

A TC Inspector, whom had never seen me fly, accused me under oath of being a dangerous pilot.

That same TC Inspector - last name rhymes with Ploy - later hand-propped a Champ completely
illegally with no one at the controls, and without the aircraft being restrained. Of course it caught,
it went around and around until it hit something randomly at the airport and was destroyed.

That TC Inspector then lied to the TSB and said that the parking brake didn't work on the Champ.

The owner of the Champ - I knew him quite well - was enraged, and demonstrated to the TSB that
the parking brake worked perfectly.

I don't mind people fucking up - it happens - but when they simultaneously screech at you, that
you are an incompetent and dangerous pilot - with a lifetime perfect safety record - it gets a
little surreal.

A fellow I knew flew with that TC Inspector, and he was told by the Inspector that if he received
any training from me, his paperwork would be rejected when he submitted it.

TC liked to send process servers to the tech company that I worked at. Awkward.

Time to leave Canada. Not without precedent - Bob Hoover seemed to like Australia, where his
medical condition of "congnitive dissonance" could not be detected or reproduced by the medical
authorities there.