11 dead in Hawaii King Air SkyDive Crash

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/06/2 ... rth-shore/

I mention this, because my kid recently dumped at that DZ, and rode in that King Air.

vanNostrum

Is this the same airplane that a couple years ago spun
and ripped half of the stabillizer off?
David MacRay

I did not post at AdCanada but wondered why all on board rode it in. There must be a reason. Or maybe some did get out. 11 died, rest in peace. Sorry I made you think I would be interested in people being harmed. I find it tragic.
Colonel

The skydive King Air at Byron did the same thing -
ripped the horizontal stabilizer off, after a botched
stall/spin recovery IIRC.  I have a picture somewhere
that was taken right afterwards.

The Hawaii King Air crashed right off the end of
the runway, according to the pictures- no time for
anyone to get out.

My kid was in a Caravan that had an engine failure
and he was second out the door, at low altitude.

Apparently afterward the person that was first out
the door had his feelings hurt, when my kid threw
him out after the (single) engine failure.

Sorry about the hurt feelings.
Slick Goodlin

The end result looks a lot like the Northern Thunderbird King Air 100 crash a few years ago.  IIRC they had self-imposed low oil pressure right after takeoff and instead of shutting down an engine they just put it to idle and tried to milk the thing back to the field.  Vmc issues ensued and the whole thing ended up as a big burned patch right next to the airport fence.

I don’t know if that’s what happened here but it’s a decent reminder to not get distracted on your walk around.
Nark1

Slick:

Was that the one where the pilots or “captain’s” BAC was waaaayyyyyy over the limit? Or was that a completely different flight?
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Nark link=topic=9805.msg28134#msg28134 date=1561318478]
Slick:

Was that the one where the pilots or “captain’s” BAC was waaaayyyyyy over the limit? Or was that a completely different flight?
[/quote]
I don’t remember that being a factor, my interest was more in the dipstick being left unsecured and the mistakes and poor decisions that followed since I was running a very similar operation at the time with a couple of the accident plane’s sister ships.  A couple months later some dummy at my shop still managed to cock that one up and had an engine barf all it’s oil out on initial climb but came back to the hangar without murdering a half dozen people, so there’s that.

Are you thinking of the Carson Air Metro that took off, climbed to around 14,000ft then dove nearly vertical until the wings peeled off?
Nark1

Slick,

Yup that’s the one.  Drunker than a skunk.
[quote]An autopsy performed on the two pilots by the British Columbia Coroner Service revealed that pilot Brandt had a blood alcohol level of 0.24 percent, higher than 0.08 percent, the legal limit for a driver.[/quote]

Well at least that asshole only killed his co-pilot.  I mean they’re expendable. 
Colonel

That's harsh ....

Meanwhile, in Hawaii, apparently the King Air "came to rest inverted".

Sound like a Vmc demo, all right.

[size=24pt]LOWER THE NOSE[/size]

www.pittspecials.com/articles/MultiTakeoff.htm

Once again, there will be [i]no new causes[/i] of aviation accidents in 2019.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=9805.msg28140#msg28140 date=1561347386]
Once again, there will be [i]no new causes[/i] of aviation accidents in 2019.
[/quote]
As a pilot I find that very comforting.  As a passenger; terrifying.