Losing currency.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

So I keep doing too many things ( mostly eating ) and then soon enough I have not flown for 6 months.

Before I was blissfully married this would not have happened. After putting a ring on the finger of my wife's most cherished possession, I stopped working out of town, making lots of money and easily being able to afford flying, while making payments on her house and a sorely neglected overpriced motorcycle.

At the time I ended up not flying for nearly five years. Every single day I wanted to fly.

Now things are paid off but my new job tending children, a dog and the house, just did not pay in money.

I grabbed a part time paying job but spend those wages on more eating. The "choice" part of this tale.

Chuck, do you feel like your skills are slipping away a bit? I know for me not flying has always been a little like paddling up stream, you stop and you float backwards needing to relearn things. Then again I only have 300 hours. 75 or more probably wasted by fooling around instead of flying precisely.

I am much happier these days. Never though I would be satisfied rarely flying but for whatever reason I am.

I have to take my daughter to the museum and grab some groceries for camping tomorrow. I am interested in reading how you feel about not flying Chuck.

Chuck Ellsworth

Chuck, do you feel like your skills are slipping away a bit?

Like every other endeavor one partakes in your physical motor skills will slip a bit if you do not do it over a long period of time, however like riding a bike or wanking off the skill quickly returns when you go back to doing it.
I am much happier these days. Never though I would be satisfied rarely flying but for whatever reason I am.

I have to take my daughter to the museum and grab some groceries for camping tomorrow. I am interested in reading how you feel about not flying Chuck.
I did not fly for about two years after retiring in 2005, then a friend wanted me to fly his new Husky for him so I went to the airport and did the required five circuits solo in it for recency....the five circuits took me about five minutes  as there was no traffic at the grass field.

When I was finished I was back to normal comfort with my flying skills.

I have not flown for almost two years again and my medical has lapsed and I seldom even think about it because I really have no need to fly...but if I want to I will just get my medical back and go do the five circuits and like wanking off it will feel natural.  :)
David MacRay

Cool, I am going to credit your experience there.

It's much better for me now than back when I was working on my PPL at 30 hours then would run out of money. And it is better again now that I spend time discussing things on the Internet. Last time I went for some dual just to see where I was at, I was better than I expected. Then I did not manage to get out again.

When I started reading the CPL ground school this year it was probably a real good thing.
Barneydhc82

I'm in the same boat having been forced to sit out the beautiful weather due to Mother Nature's fickle finger of fate causing a few medical problems..but here is the silly part.  My better half has a licence and over 300 hours on our Grumman AA1A with 475TT.  She hasn't flown in a year and when I tried to get insurance on the aircraft with her as named pilot the insurance company said that she required 5 hours dual with a Qualified flight instructor who is current on make and model.

Try finding an instructor who is current on a Grumman AA1A!  Unless the instructor meets the currency requirements set down by "the company", five hours on make and model within last 90 days, they will not insure the aircraft for flight.

I know the rules regarding currency as set down my TC but it appears that insurance underwriters are making their own rules and I am the third person in our group to encounter this type of BS.

I'm finished but I would certainly like to have my lady keep flying otherwise I'll be selling the aircraft

Chuck Ellsworth

Try a new insurance broker Barney.

That requirement is just plain stupid.
Colonel

Try finding an instructor who is current on a Grumman AA1A!
I wrestle with this sort of thing all the time -
I check people out on all sorts of weird and
whacky stuff.

You need to find a helpful, experienced
instructor - not a kid at an FTU that has only
flown 172's.
Four Bars

We'll make an extra effort to get this done this month Barney, regret the delay that my other job has forced upon us.
Barneydhc82

Thanks Scott.