Playing Russian Roulette on Emirates

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Eric Janson

Here's a recent A380 'Landing'....

[youtube][/youtube]

Nice job!  ::) ::) Just glad I wasn't onboard.

Unfortunately I'm onboard 2-3 times a month as my company has me commuting on Emirates to/from work.

I've been subjected to the following:-

Multiple hard landings - including one where the pitch attitude of the aircraft didn't change from 100' down to 'impact'

One diversion preceded by 2 go-arounds. The first was just after glideslope intercept and the second one was from around 150'. This was the only aircraft to divert. I've also operated from the same airport under much worse conditions than those that were present on that day.

With the recent SNAFU in Moscow, EK521 and other incidents which I understand have been covered up - this is increasingly starting to become a concern.

One thing that is clear - A380 is built to take a lot of abuse!

ScudRunner-d95

Except the engines isnt that the second catastrophic failure on them. Qantas and now Air France
Colonel

David MacRay

Spectacular!!

I think that is my new favorite video.

I'm guessing they got their commercial pilot paper thingy from one of those schools with the crosswind restrictions. Congratulations to whom ever trained that pilot.
Nark1

Holy crap.  How many cases of whiplash came from that? 
Hey-zues Christo ...

The bus has its quirks during a crosswind, but not insurmountable if you open the books. 
Eric Janson

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=7231.msg19660#msg19660 date=1507341743]
Except the engines isnt that the second catastrophic failure on them. Qantas and now Air France
[/quote]

2 different engine types.

Qantas = RR Trent 900
Air France = Engine Alliance GP7000
Liquid Charlie

last time I saw that much rudder used in the air it was a dc3 - damn - whatever happened to quiet hands quiet feet.. - that guy was peddling for all he was worth.
David MacRay

It sure has nice rudder authority, that big baby yaws pretty good.

I wonder if the pilot was not expecting so much action from kicking the foot rests? Easy to oversteer when you're used to driving a big truck, then get in a car with less turns of the steering wheel lock to lock.

Once it startled them by actually yawning, over correct the other direction, rinse and repeat as they say.
Colonel

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... Flight_587]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... Flight_587[/url]

[quote]aggressive use of the rudder controls by the co-pilot caused the vertical stabilizer to snap off the plane[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_961

[quote]the entire rudder had broken away from the vertical stabilizer of the aircraft[/quote]
David MacRay

That crossed my mind. You can see the whole tail section twist a bit in the video too.

Might not hurt to buy a hundred bucks worth of IKEA pillows if you're going to go on that ride. Supposed to be good for preventing kidney stones. I believe it.