Everyone makes mistakes

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Yikes, must have been some fog in the city by the bay?

Nark1

Nope...  they questioned the "lights in the runway."

Hey-Zeus Christo

Do 4 bar Canadians never back up visual approaches? 

What does Rockie have to say about this??? 
Someone came at me like a spider monkey on AvCanada when I made a smart ass comment about their E175 and LGA ILS 04  approach.  It helps that I have 1100 hours in the bird, and seemingly the same number of approaches to LGA. 

I also have similar amount of time in the 320, but never to SFO.  I think the 9000 ' rwy  is like every other 9000' ray.
Again, what do I know?
David MacRay

Obviously it was not heavy fog.

I am hoping light fog or drizzle was why they saw airplane lights but did not see the [b]28R[/b], painted on the real runway, beside the surface they were lining up with.
vanNostrum

Not my intention to excuse the  pilots or AC but I don't think
they would have landed once they were questioning the lights on the ''runway''
There is an ILS LOC  28R .
What did they used to back up the visual?
Trey Kule

You know guys, everyone is not on their A game every day. fatigue, stress,, whatever..
They are not quietly sitting behind a computer screen, sipping a cocktail and calmly analyzing the decision making process that was done in real time.
I am not making excuses for them, but every pilot...every single one of us makes a mistake ( with the possible exception of a certain poster here). Some end very tragically. Others do not.
TC has elevated safety to 100% expectations.  Social media has made every oops a public opportunity for shaming.

I have tonask, without know all the facts, what lessons are to be learned here from the media reporting.

Strega

Having 2 pilots line up on a taxiway, in a modern airliner, when VMC is existing is simply not acceptable.

End of story.

Whats next? 2 pilots land gear up and say they were "tired" ?

Nark1

Trey Kule

That's absolutely bullshit.  Zero excuse for airliners landing at wrong "runways".  There are plenty of examples over the years and my thoughts are the same.  I am paid what I'm paid, not to make these mistakes. 

Back your approaches up.
David MacRay

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=6691.msg18097#msg18097 date=1499794405]
You know guys, everyone is not on their A game every day. fatigue, stress,, whatever..
They are not quietly sitting behind a computer screen, sipping a cocktail and calmly analyzing the decision making process that was done in real time.
[/quote]

I would have looked for the runway markings on Microsoft flightsim 98 even if I had just finished a second, nay, fourth Mountain Dew and Bowmore.
Chuck Ellsworth

One has to ask why two pilots in a modern airplane could make such a mistake at an airport with an ILS and all the other aids for identifying what you were lined up for.

Is it because they were so tired they should not have been flying?

I wonder if they have the CVR for that incident?