Hand flying.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark

Eric:

I triple checked the ICAO and FAA rules about hand flying above 2-9-0. It doesn’t specifically prohibit it, but you’re correct on that hand flying at that altitude requires a finer touch on the controls. (Airbus-isms not withstanding). Ham fisting like one might at lower altitude would lead to catastrophic loss of separation, or put you past the coffin corner very quickly.

Company policies may tighten the requirements I suspect. One particular regional down here was mandated that RNAV SID’s must be flown by the autopilot.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Liquid_Charlie

You do need to be careful - RVSM requires the autopilot. This sort of thing may trigger an event.
Yes an auto pilot is required but from what I see he flew to 390, in my mind that he was hand flying during the climb and as long as you don't pooch the level off, which you shouldn't with a low rate of climb it should be all good. I know I was flying steam power but we would hand fly in RVSM often to re-trim the aircraft. I only ever busted altitude in RVSM once and that was because of turbulence. I love it when flight bags start drifting by during flight and the guy in the jump seat craps his tights. :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"