Instructing, you’re doing it wrong.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark

Our limits in the hawk aren’t failure points, but rather what the specs called for during procurement.

Our tailwheel tires is tested to 60 knots, so it’s a limitation. But… if we have a tail rotor failure we’ll touchdown probably closer to 90-100knots. Fuck the tailwheel. It’s been done before and it holds up just fine.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I have to wonder about some people.

Ok. Even if someone doesn’t know anything about physics or engineering, if someone has ever landed a plane before, they probably noticed that at high speed after touchdown, it’s easy to lock up the brakes because the wing is producing significant lift and there is little weight on the tires and the sidewalls are not being deflected and so little heat is being generated.

But at high speeds the aerodynamic loads on the drag chute are exponential.

I really have to wonder about some people.
digits

Colonel wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:47 pm
I have to wonder about some people.

Ok. Even if someone doesn’t know anything about physics or engineering, if someone has ever landed a plane before, they probably noticed that at high speed after touchdown, it’s easy to lock up the brakes because the wing is producing significant lift and there is little weight on the tires and the sidewalls are not being deflected and so little heat is being generated.

But at high speeds the aerodynamic loads on the drag chute are exponential.

I really have to wonder about some people.
If someone has ever seen a plane land before, they will also notice that the initial touchdown often causes significant blue/black smoke, due to the initial spin up on the wheels.
The lack of pressure on the tires and wheels worsens this effect.

If you were to lift a wheel, and you take a belt sander, and you approach the wheel very gently, you might be able to damage the wheel significantly before it starts spinning, if ever.
If you were to take a belt sander and slam it on that wheel, you'd probably make a bit of a spot on the initial touch, but then the wheel will spin up, and further damage will be minimal.

Minimizing the weight on the wheels, will minimize the braking effect of the brakes, which means that you will spend more time at this high rotation - low pressure situation, which could easily lead to deflated tires.

I just find it interesting to have this very cavalier attitude towards exceeding maximum tire speed -presumably by a significant amount- yet sticking to the drag chute limitation. I'd say both systems are important to maintain control of the aircraft, but the wheels seem to have more chance of causing an asymmetric situation.

If you were to rip the drag chute, wouldn't you still enjoy it's initial effect of providing braking action?
If you blow the tires, you will significantly limit your low speed directional control, and your braking action will be reduced significantly as well.
Slick Goodlin

digits wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:13 pm
If you were to take a belt sander and slam it on that wheel, you'd probably make a bit of a spot on the initial touch, but then the wheel will spin up, and further damage will be minimal.
Yep, that’s why I land the way I do. That’s exactly why. Safety. Really I’m the hero here.
digits

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:37 pm
digits wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:13 pm
Yep, that’s why I land the way I do. That’s exactly why. Safety. Really I’m the hero here.
I wouldn't dare to imply otherwise! ;)
Colonel

Please contact whatever educational institution issued your undergraduate engineering degree and ask for a complete refund of your tuition.
digits

Let's put some numbers on it then. What was the max tire speed in the scenario you described?
Colonel

What university granted your engineering degrees?

We need to get the word out, about them.

I’m guessing not Waterloo, right? I have been quite impressed with their recent graduates.
digits

Allright. If you don't want to provide numbers, we'll have to look for some on the internet. Not a lot of trustworthy sources there.

I found this one though. Author claimed to have flown the planes in the German Navy: https://hushkit.net/2022/04/30/zipper-o ... rman-navy/
So imagine yourself on a winter day, wet runway, strong crosswinds, with 200+ knots on final. You were always close to a limiting speed: 235 kts for the Goodyear tires, 205 for the brake chute…
Based on that info, in the situation you described, no limitations were exceeded. Which is only a further testament to the designers and pilots of the plane, really.

I'm also pretty happy with the university I attended. We learned to have discussions in which we analyzed each others arguments and then decide to accept or reject them. We learned that explaining our position and explaining why the other party's argument was invalid, provided for a much better discussion, both for the participants as well as the audience. Much better than for example attacking the other party personally, which only weakend your arguments really.
Colonel

If you don't understand the difference between physics and bureaucracy by this point in your life, you probably never will.
your arguments
What argument? If you haven't learned by now that I honestly don't care what you think, you probably never will.