No guts no glory I guess

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

One of the test tows in that Cardinal story was done with a gold wing.

Eric Janson

Funny that there are no pictures or videos - or even drawings that show how the ropes are attached.
The thread linked previously offers no proof.

Where would you attach the rope to the towing aircraft?
Much simpler to use a helicoptor imho.
Sorry - I'm not buying this.
Colonel

Generally for banner or glider tow, there is a hook bolted
pretty solidly to the tailwheel mount.

[img]http://www.airsafetynet.com/tost_1.jpg[/img]

That one looks like it's sandwiched inbetween the leaf
springs of the tailwheel, and the frame, with longer bolts.

Note the cable going forward into the cockpit, connected
to the release lever.
Chris

From the angle of the tow rope I would guess that the lead 206 isn't a properly outfitted towplane with a tailhook and that they tied it to the gear leg.

Towing multiple gliders is interesting. Cadets does on occasion with the L-19, even the older O-470 versions. Obviously the Super Dog is going to do that job a lot better. The usual technique is to use staggerred rope lengths and once in the air the long rope glider moves to low tow position while the short rope guy stays level with the tow plane.

Of course if you have some manner of turbine crop duster you can pull even more gliders!

[img width=500 height=379]http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... .jpg?v=v40[/img]
David MacRay

[quote author=Chris link=topic=8511.msg23503#msg23503 date=1528120704]
From the angle of the tow rope I would guess that the lead 206 isn't a properly outfitted towplane with a tailhook and that they tied it to the gear leg.

[/quote]

The claim is they ran the rope through the cabin of the tow plane and had an axe with a wood block for emergency release. If someone made the story up, I can't see why they would have went with that..

I know if I were telling people I did it, I would definately say there was some better means of releasing the glider from the rope. Seems like they were either pretty desperate to get the plane off the beach right away or bad at making up stories. Maybe both.

It looks like a recipe for disaster. I would be embarrassed by it. Perhaps they were proud of pulling it off but, I'd deny any involvement myself. It sure seems like a good time to break out, "I had a buddy who..."  to tell that one.

I don't see a motivation but if it's fabricated, there must have been drinking involved. Great job on the picture.
Slick Goodlin

I was under the impression that the [i]Federales[/i] were on the way and that airplane had to be removed before they show up.
Colonel

Flying in Central America is very different than what you might be used
to in Canada or the USA.

We used to routinely do shit there that would quickly put you in jail up
here.