Would you fly with a known User?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
John Swallow

"When my father was flying Sabres over in Europe, the French fighter pilots would have a glass of wine with lunch and then go flying."

True story!

Which, in turn, made French fighter pilots "easy meat" in subsequent aerial engagements!  'Course, that may have had nothing to do with the wine and more to do with the pilot/airplane mix.

I also knew a WW II ex-Spitfire pilot on a Sabre Sqn who wasn't above a beer at lunch and an afternoon sortie...  (;>0)

Rookie Pilot

I was curious on the other thread of a poster's qualifications to command the aircraft can. 

To properly exercise command, do you only have to meter out the TP to the Pax, or wipe their butts as well?

Just curious.

Some are so incredibly stupid when talking about rather important things like how drugs might impair the operation of an aircraft, I can't believe they can command more than a crapper.
Chuck Ellsworth

The internet has given a platform to some of the more questionable members of aviation or wannabe members of aviation that allows them to try and demean any post or poster with no fear of being identified.

So we have people like those on the other forum who can belittle any post they want to.

Rather than be upset by their comments I prefer to call them out to explain why they say what they do.

It can be interesting watching them try and sound professional when they respond.

But of course I realise that 12 year old's can forgiven for being ignorant of the subject.  :)
David MacRay

It is very unlikely for someone who smoke or otherwise uses marijuana to finish a PPL. It is pretty de motivational. When ever I played in a band with guys that smoked, they would do it at the end of practice because they would just want to mellow out after.
BCPilotguy

I really don't see any difference between marijuana and alcohol in this instance other than that I've never heard someone who enjoys a glass of wine with dinner referred to as a "known user".

Here's some interesting science regarding marijuana use and impairment: [url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/[/url]

[quote]Maximal impairment is found 20 to 40 minutes after smoking, but the impairment has vanished 2.5 hours later, at least in those who smoke 18 mg THC or less (the dose often used experimentally to duplicate a single joint).[/quote]

Just because marijuana is "in one's system" and detectable by urinalysis doesn't mean that it is still causing impairment. Evidence of a single drink can be detected using urinalysis up to 80 hours after consumption, but the idea of that single drink causing impairment at that point is laughable.

Marijuana use is so prevalent as it is that I think it will simply be business as usual. The vast majority of marijuana users, like the vast majority ethanol users, will keep their use separate from their flying. There will always be those who abuse any substance, regardless of the legality.

Colonel

I don't smoke (tobacco) cigarettes.  Personally, I don't
think any pilot should, because it impairs their performance
(e.g. night vision, increase risk of heart attack) but no one
gives a shit about impairing performance because no one
seems to care if they crash or not anyways.

I know a guy who can drink a 24 of beer and under the
influence, land a Pitts better than any four-bar can sober.

No one gives a shit about performance.  The better you
fly, the more you get crapped on.  Ask Bob Hoover or
Melissa A.  Heck, I know Skip Stewart has lost his card
at least once, and he must be in anyone's top 10 list
of best living pilots.

[youtube][/youtube]

You think you're a better stick than that, speak up.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=BCPilotguy link=topic=7613.msg21119#msg21119 date=1513055741]
Marijuana use is a so prevalent as it is that I think it will simply be business as usual. The vast majority of marijuana users, like the vast majority ethanol users, will keep their use separate from their flying. There will always be those who abuse any substance, regardless of the legality.
[/quote]
Yep.  I see the future being exactly the same as now, but with more taxes.  Our government probably sees it the same way, in fact just the other day the federal and provincial leaders met to decide what to do with their expected fortunes.  How to divide up the pot, if you will.
Colonel

[url=https://www.usada.org/can-poppyseeds-ca ... drug-test/]https://www.usada.org/can-poppyseeds-ca ... drug-test/[/url]

[quote]While poppy seeds don’t actually contain morphine, the seeds can become coated by, or absorb, opium extract during harvesting. Opium is the milky substance that is extracted along with the poppy seeds from the seed pod of the opium poppy after all the petals have fallen off.

The opium is composed of roughly 12 percent morphine, which is a narcotic ...

Research shows that morphine and codeine can sometimes be detected in the urine up to 48 hours after ingestion of poppy seeds from some pastries, such as bagels, muffins, and cakes[/quote]

I love poppy seed bagels.  Had one yesterday.  I'm sure that if I peed
in a bottle right now, I would test positive for morphine.

Does that make me a bad pilot?  Or a bad person?

Should some deep state bureaucrat tell me not to push any negative
G today?
BCPilotguy

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7613.msg21121#msg21121 date=1513060191]
No one gives a shit about performance.
[/quote]

No ones give a shit about performance, but some people sure seem to concern themselves with what you do in your spare time.

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=7613.msg21122#msg21122 date=1513079962]
Yep.  I see the future being exactly the same as now, but with more taxes.  Our government probably sees it the same way, in fact just the other day the federal and provincial leaders met to decide what to do with their expected fortunes.  How to divide up the pot, if you will.
[/quote]

I think it will be interesting to see how the revenue side of this pans out. In BC marijuana is a six billion dollar per year industry that we don't see any tax revenue from. The planned combined taxes on recreational marijuana will be 25%, that works out to a whole lot of extra income for the government. Also, the experience in Colorado has shown that every dollar spent on marijuana generates between $2.14 and $2.60 in economic activity. We stand to gain quite a lot, as long as our government doesn't screw it up. Colorado has done very well with it.