Types of flights easy for all Pitts pilots. (Apparently)

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

Submit your entry.

Here's 2 of mine. Note both types of pilots wear bars of some sort. 

Night carrier recovery: 

Flying in PNG. 

Chuck Ellsworth

The night carrier landing is going to be hard to beat for difficulty and danger.

PNG from the videos looks to be not all that difficult judging from the runway used for landing and take offs with that airplane.

Two issues with PNG in my mind would be the weather problems and high surface temps at some of the higher airports.

P.S....

I never flew there but have lots of high and hot experience in the ITCZ areas of the world.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5717.msg15020#msg15020 date=1488155899]
The night carrier landing is going to be hard to beat for difficulty and danger.

PNG from the videos looks to be not all that difficult judging from the runway used for landing and take offs with that airplane.

Two issues with PNG in my mind would be the weather problems and high surface temps at some of the higher airports.

P.S....

I never flew there but have lots of high and hot experience in the ITCZ areas of the world.
[/quote]

From what I've heard -- have a friend flying there -- like you said it's fast changing weather, high DA's, some strips are one way with no GA possible. Also, airvan fully loaded isn't a rocket. 

Chuck Ellsworth

The runways look to all be over 1500 feet long with no obstructions on final approach which for that type of flying is not all that bad.

For sure the weather would be my biggest concern, however one nice thing about the ITCZ is it is quite predictable and you learn to know when to not fly.

That kind of flying has other considerations like the poverty and the culture, not to mention the disease factor.

I was very lucky I never got  malaria like a few of the people in our groups got, that can be fatal.

Maybe your friend could tell us more about flying there ?
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5717.msg15022#msg15022 date=1488156959]
The runways look to all be over 1500 feet long with no obstructions on final approach which for that type of flying is not all that bad.

For sure the weather would be my biggest concern, however one nice thing about the ITCZ is it is quite predictable and you learn to know when to not fly.

That kind of flying has other considerations like the poverty and the culture, not to mention the disease factor.

I was very lucky I never got  malaria like a few of the people in our groups got, that can be fatal.

Maybe your friend could tell us more about flying there ?
[/quote]

You know Chuck, it's interesting. I highly doubt he ever will, as despite something like 16, 000 + hours, all single engine in that region, he's not the least bit promotional about it. Pure humility. Lots of float time, landing on rivers. That sounds cool, assuming no logs in the river. . He is an instructor now, flies the Airvan. Lots of medical type stuff there, as one can imagine. 

He did mention it's dangerous, been violently robbed twice already on this latest "tour" (PNG is quite bad).

I haven't been there, do hope to visit him one day eventually.

I've flown with the same org with other pilots in Africa, riding along.  Some strips were a bit nasty from my vantage, at least to my eyes!

Chuck Ellsworth

Wearing bars in those cultures is mandatory because it identifies who you are.

Without the bars your job would be almost impossible with the bureaucracy...

...but USD will always trump anything. I sure miss that life where things were interesting.