Sad day at MRC

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[quote]Former RCAF pilot[/quote]

Was he the rotary wing guy?  With all respect, that
experience doesn't transfer as much as you might
think.

A while back, I helped a 8,000 hour rotary ATP - he
earned a living flying two-pilot, twin-turbine, all-wx
medevac (serious stuff) get his fixed wing SEL PPL
and I thought it would take about a day, considering
he had 15 (?) hours of instrument time in a Cessna,
'way back when.

Wrong.  It was a big deal.  Really surprising.  He
said a lot of stuff was backwards to what he was
used to.  Very surprising.  IMHO rotary wing is a
lot harder than fixed wing.  Ever tried to hover an
R22?  All the logbook hours in the world aren't going
to help you with that.

Oh boy.  I hope these guys didn't decide to do a
Vmc demo in their piston twin at an extra-high
altitude "for safety".

Explain that particular trap to me, TK.  You have
lots of hours, right, so you must know that problem?

PS  This guy had logged 23,000 hours:

[youtube][/youtube]

He didn't think much of me, either.

mcrit

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=5632.msg14840#msg14840 date=1487171788]
[quote]Former RCAF pilot[/quote]

Was he the rotary wing guy?  [/quote]

Flew TACHEL in AFG, then taught on the Harvard II for the last two years.  Excellent hands and feet and always had a positive word even when things were complete shit.
Trey Kule

CS:

Suffice it to say, I am  aware of the different considerations of executing a VMC at low vs. higher altitude.
or the "trap" or problems associated with higher altitude VMC demos.

And I do not think I need to explain it to you.  I think you know the answer . Not sure why you thought I would feel the need to seek your approval by being tested by yourself.

Of course there can be difficulty between rotary and fixed wings transition. Same between a 180 hp piston and a 18.  Or the other way between a 777 and a 172.

Flying hundreds or thousands of hours in a particular plane, tends to make one very good at that type,( or sometimes very contemptuous or complacent)  but transitioning can take time...unless one believes that because it has wings they can fly it..

Strega

[quote]Why? You've made it clear you think that I don't know the difference between a 912 and the rest of the Rotax line up.[/quote]

Because I asked.. 

Did the crank break?  did it throw a rod?  did it self destruct? 

Show me the SDRs for the 912...

ScudRunner-d95

Jesus Christ Colonel two pilots are dead, take a second to stop with the TC bashing bullshit and have a little respect. 

I don't care if they where both 200 hour instructors or 20,000 Hour RCAF instructor and Retired Airline Pilot who flew for AC and JAZZ. Take a second discuss or to digest the facts of the crash, offer some wisdom or condolences. Better yet your experience with the type of aircraft or just STFU
Strega

[quote]racked two of the heads rather severely after the pilot run her out of coolant[/quote]

cracked two of the heads rather severely after the pilot run her out of coolant

What happens if you run a lycoming out of oil?  or a liquid cooled continenal out of coolant ?  Sunshine and Rainbows?