Nice Cat video

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Fendermandan

Excellent explanation. I never met anyone doing that procedure.

Colonel

[quote]I never met anyone doing that procedure[/quote]

You're shitting me, right?

That's exactly how I approach in the 421, for example.

Cruise RPM until the throttles are pulled back far enough
that the props are on the fine pitch stops.  RPM may start
to fall.  At that point, advancing the props is perfectly ok -
won't make any difference to the RPM, unless you overshoot
of course!

It worries me that so many things that us old guys take
for granted, have been forgotten.
Chuck Ellsworth

Forgetting something means you first had to know it.

Far to many of the pilots teaching flying today never knew such a simple thing as not needing to have the engines screaming like mad when you do not need the thrust.

I used to be chief pilot for a company that operated a fleet of Twin Otters on floats flying scheduled flights between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

It used to drive me nuts when I would see the pilots increase prop RPM into the screaming range during the approach, however they soon learned that was not the way to do it.

Increasing prop RPM during the approach is a FTU habit that gets passed down the chain until it becomes the right way to do it in their world.

Liquid Charlie

Another area is on floats. Touch down in cruise RPM and just tickle the throttle forward a bit and vola a nice quite step taxi with very little power applied. Now go to the norm of today. A bag full of noise, over speeding props and whole mit full of throttle to maintain the step- damn !!! and ya from my training days on pistons. M-P-P was the flow so if the props were in cruise RPM where they always were on approach - no fowl -- and that went for all types I flew, round or flat engines and [b]especially[/b] geared prop engines.
Chuck Ellsworth

I have another question for the members of this forum.

Why is it that flight training and general understanding of aerodynamics and physics have gone backwards over the last few decades rather than forwards like most other things in society.

Is it because Darwinism is driving the flight training industry and the gene pool is being cleaned out through ignorance of the subject?
Chuck Ellsworth

When I was flying a DC3 for Mobil Oil in Calgary in 1969/70 we used to see who could plan the approach and landing from the top of the approach to touch down with no power adjustments from the first decent power setting to touch down the most often.

Makes the whole thing so more nice for the passengers, compared to the ham fisted pilots who are throttle jockies and can't plan ahead of where they hapen to be at that moment.
Colonel

Sure makes the transition to a jet easier.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=5420.msg13998#msg13998 date=1484746106]
[quote]I never met anyone doing that procedure[/quote]

You're shitting me, right?

That's exactly how I approach in the 421, for example.

Cruise RPM until the throttles are pulled back far enough
that the props are on the fine pitch stops.  RPM may start
to fall.  At that point, advancing the props is perfectly ok -
won't make any difference to the RPM, unless you overshoot
of course!

It worries me that so many things that us old guys take
for granted, have been forgotten.
[/quote]

I dunno. I'm dumb and inexperienced but that's how I've done it. Maybe I read it here and it made sense.

I believe in being easy on engines and mechanical gear, FWIW, this fits in that.

Prop left in cruise and mixture left leaned until late base, or turning final. Prop is already at the stop, so no surge.

Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Prop left in cruise and mixture left leaned until late base,[/quote]

This also helps to reduce shock cooling.
vanNostrum

The Bf 109 had a single lever to control RPM and MP , nothing the pilot could do to change the preselected optimal ratio between the two