Nice Cat video

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Fendermandan

Boat that flies.... I am pretty sure Chuck will have to say a thing or two about these lovely birds.
How the heck you get used to those throttles? I don't know if the student had any fun judging by his face.

anofly

I was once told if you are flying along in a twin engine, piston radial, and you are getting relaxed " look around" because " there is probably something wrong somewhere"
it might not actually be true, but it might not be far from it!
Chuck Ellsworth

Twin engine piston radial engine airplanes are so dangerous they should be grounded so people do not have to risk their lives flying them.
David MacRay

Golly Chuck, don't give transport any ideas. 
Chuck Ellsworth

Don't worry about giving TC ideas because to have an idea one must first be able to think.

The pilot giving the training in that video flew with me for years and is one of the best hands and feet pilots I have met.

When someone makes stupid comments like the one above about any airplane you have to bear in mind they do not know fuck all about the subject.

A great number of the flight instructors today can't find their assholes with a written guide and a flashlight let alone know how to teach flying.

As to the reliability of twin engine piston radial airplanes I have over ten thousand hours flying them and never ever put a scratch on one.
David MacRay

It seemed more like one of those things some pilots like to say to people that don't fly to sound cool.

Kind of like ice pilots doesn't show thousands of hours of regular flying in the DC-3. They wait for something to break then turn it into them limping back from Berlin full of flack on one engine with barely enough fuel.

You been in an airplane lately?
I have been considering scheduling my annual hour of dual, should cause another snow storm.
Chuck Ellsworth

Go to 8:45 in the video and note that the prop RPM levers stayed in cruise RPM for the whole approach and Phillipe did not shove them full forward until the pilot flying closed the throttles for the touch down.

That is the sign of someone who understands how to fly piston engine airplanes.

I used to get flack from some pilots about the need to increase the prop RPM to full fine during the final approach which results in high prop RPM.

I said if you want me to train you you will do it the way I want it done, you of course can find someone else to teach you.

I have not been in an airplane for a couple of years now.

Chuck Ellsworth

[youtube][/youtube]

This was the last sight seeing flight I did in Holland before I retired.
John Swallow

"I used to get flack from some pilots about the need to increase the prop RPM to full fine during the final approach which results in high prop RPM."

I remember the Harvard training days when pitch went full fine on downwind... 

I forget what we did on the Expeditor...

During my commercial days, the pitch went full fine somewhere on final when it had already done so in an attempt to keep the RPM at the level selected...

John
Chuck Ellsworth

Prop RPM is like a manual transmission in a car, when you need power to start moving and increase speed you select the RPM you need for the rate of change you want.

When descending for a landing you are going down hill and require far less power than when climbing or maintaining level flight at cruise speed.

When descending for the landing I leave the prop RPM in cruise RPM until I close the throttle /'s for the touch down once the throttle /'s are closed I select full RPM, or when flying two crew the pilot not flying selects full RPM once the throttles are closed.

Engine wear is increased with increased RPM....that is the law of physics...so why would I decrease engine life and put up with unnecessary noise when increased RPM is not needed?  ??? ???

Anyone? ??? ?