Crosswinds

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

So down here at Denver Centennial KAPA, I just witnessed some five bar try and land a citabira on runway 17L with the wind 280@32 gusting 36 :o  he finally made the right decision and went around and asked for runway 28.

I have a video I'll try and upload later but Jesus H Christ know your limits know your aircraft and don't be stupid.

Yes practice whenever you can but fly safe everyone no ones wants to see a wrecked bird.

Colonel

I can see doing that for masochistic sport, with
one-wheel touch and goes, but for the full stop
I'd say he made the best decision!

With 32G36, he ought to have been able to hover
over 28.

I've always want to fly over the field backwards.
In formation  ;D
Tailwind W10

[quote]"I've always want to fly over the field backwards. In formation  "[/quote]

Yes but you're a very BAD PERSON.  [size=1]TM[/size]
cgzro

With 30kts you could probably put the Citabria down on the downwind side of a 100ft wide runway and as it weather vanes be stopped by the upwind side.  Probably not much risk of a full ground loop, just a quick pivot into the wind.

Liquid Charlie

[font=Verdana][size=2px] [/size][/font][quote]30kts you could probably put the Citabria down on the downwind side of a 100ft wide runway[/quote] - Damn I'm going to be tossing and turning all night. I was always taught to land on the centre line. This poses a real conflict in my mind, how can I ever deal with this concept -- hahahahaa --  >:D  - at 30 kts just land across the 100' runway in a champ.  ;D
Colonel

[quote]at 30 kts just land across the 100' runway[/quote]

Generally you can pick a taxiway to roll out on.

I should mention that while I am personally rather
fond of taking off and landing on taxiways, TC will
charge you with CAR 602.01 (my old favorite).

Too bad none of the big bellies have ever been to OSH.
anofly

Why cant we land or takeoff on taxiways? I know of one field that only had one runway, but a ramp and taxiway that added to 400 odd feet. I was there in a tripacer of all things, The wind was dead across at 30 knots , so i took off across the ramp and taxiway right into it? I think to the contrary that the runway would have been  a dangerous takeoff , but the taxiway was a safe choice.
i the old days (like way back) airfields were just big flat, grass, squares, and you tookoff into the wind wherever it was from.
ScudRunner-d95

I've seen a Twin Otter do that up in Inuvik, but this guy had  perfectly good into wind runway.

In retrospect when I think about what I witnessed, ATC gave him the winds and told him the active. Any ATC worth their salt might have asked knowing it was a light GA taildragger if he wanted 28. However any pilot should have heard those winds on the ATIS or from tower and said ya no thanks ill take 28 and it was saying active runways are 17L and 28....

Oh well he made the right choice in the end and no metal was bent.
Nark1

Somehow managed to avoid scrapping the wing on the ol'bus this evening landing in Ohare. Now that I think of it, it's only 4 months old. 

The winds are howling tonight!

I throughly enjoy a nice crosswind, both the bus and Stinson. Helicopters (generally) there's no such thing as a crosswind :)
Barneydhc82

There were a number of times during my long career as a tower controller where I used COMMON sense and used a taxiway to recover aircraft.  Unfortunately CS has been relegated to a suppository item.

Barney