We need more action on this site.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

I would gladly double their pay if the co.......s would never go to their offices or push another piece of paper.

We could use their empty offices to house the homeless.

ramjet555

TC like us, is subject to the CARS and the Syllabuses of training.

If you want to change the entire syllabus or giving the impression that you are
doing indirectly what is not approved directly, then its waving a red flag at a bull.

It means, you have to be careful and diplomatic in allowing students to get the training that
they need, and night flying, Somatogravic Illusion is probably the most important illusion that
students or pilots can experience during training or even recurrent training.

I use X-Plane 10 and I'm just blow away by the realism especially at night.

While you need to be in an aircraft at night and lots of black in front to experience
the Somatogravic Illusion, it is something that every student needs strong emphasis
on understanding the need to PLAN on experiencing it on Every Take Off at Night.

I get them to watch YouTube video's of the high accident rate on take offs at night
and carrier take offs where they have to keep
their hands off the controls until after take off.

Has anyone added terrain map files to X-Plane 10?

Then there are the constant requests by students to do some aerobatics before even learning to fly.

While it does not comply with the syllabus, it does generate very serious highly motivated students
who always end up at a far higher standard at solo or flight test because they have had some experience
in using rudder.

The question is, how can you accommodate student requests while complying with the syllabus?

I've seen various approaches, generally determined by the CFI that allow some or a lot of aerobatics / tailwheel.

That raises another issue. Can or should students be allowed to do some or most of their training in an
aerobatic aircraft that they will not fly solo until after they get a licence and if they can generally buy their
aircraft?

So far, the only answer I see is if they buy their own aerobatic aircraft and learn to fly on it
with an "approved instructor" according to their insurance.

[font=verdana]
[/font]

Colonel

[quote]constant requests by students to do some aerobatics[/quote]

Well, that's not depressing.  Best thing I've
heard all day, actually.

Because I am a [b]BAD PERSON[/b] according to
the Tower C big bellies, I liked to see basic aerobatics
and some formation experience for a PPL student.

If he was good, we'd do a formation loop, him
on wing.

However, I refused to teach nosewheel.  It just
fucked people up.  I would only teach ab initio
on tailwheel.  And if you're going to do that, well,
you might as well see a roll and a loop, and practice
a little bit of station keeping.

I never bothered teaching joinups at the pre-PPL
level.  Really nothing to do with formation, and
they can learn that later.

We did things differently in my family.  Deplorables,
all.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Regarding action on this site we just had our best month ever as far as hits and page views go. Also we have had a number of new signups and our ranks keep growing as word spreads.[/quote]

This site actually must be more interesting than Avcanada because Rockie and a few others are constantly commenting on what is said here but it seems we are a basket of deplorable s over here and thus it is below their esteemed self worth to actually join up here.

So if you want to increase their blood pressure here is the place to do it. :) :) :)

Like this. 

Hey Donald, how would you like a one hour flight assessment of your flying skills?

Hell you can even let Rockie ride in the back to maybe learn something at the same time.

Just contact the Colonel and book the ride....I can't do it because I don't want to.  :(
John Swallow

"Even for night VFR, which is really IFR, despite what any TC big belly will tell you."

This former TC big belly agrees that night VFR can be akin to IFR.  Except, of course, in the prairies, in the winter, under a full moon, under which conditions you have to wear shades... 

Strega

The "experts" talking....

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=112487

Makes me giggle...
Chris

Observations from a newbie currently doing a night rating: I have a couple problems with the hood/goggles:

1. They don't give me the same sense of disorientation that flying in actual cloud does. When I've got the goggles on I can practically stare at my feet and keep the plane right side up. I had one instructor during my PPL take us into actual IMC briefly and I just about turned the plane upside down. Great lesson, I doubt anything else could have taught me to respect IMC like that. I suspect that a big chunk of the difference is the temptation to look outside. With something physically blocking my view I don't bother looking up at all, but when it's solid grey outside I was always fighting the urge to look around.

2. "I have control, put on your goggles". As CS said, the transition is dangerous. Being able to hand over control during that phase is cheating. Perhaps have the student fly with the hood on but raised, and at some random point the instructor tilts it down but never takes over the controls.
Chuck Ellsworth

O.K. here is a question.

When commercial / airline pilots are flying IFR why don't they wear a hood ?

And here is an opinion.

If a pilot can not take off and transition to no outside reference ( IMC ) without crashing how in hell do they do an approach and land without crashing?
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5269.msg13551#msg13551 date=1483466312]
O.K. here is a question.

When commercial / airline pilots are flying IFR why don't they wear a hood ?

And here is an opinion.

If a pilot can not take off and transition to no outside reference ( IMC ) without crashing how in hell do they do an approach and land without crashing?
[/quote]

I suspect you answered that yourself, the transition.
Chuck Ellsworth

O.K. humour me and please explain why the transition is so difficult?