Takeoffs

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

List causes 1 through 6, ten words or less. No googling.

Nark1

1-4: pilot error./ dumbassery..
5: control lock still in place (elevator?)
6: load shift
John Swallow

Does anyone remember the video of the L-19E that flew on and on in the mountains with the ground slowly rising beneath it...?

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/coc ... tal-crash/

An earlier, longer version shows the aircraft flying well above the valley floor, but as the flight continues, the ground slowly comes up to meet them...
BCPilotguy

1. Failure to get the nose down and accelerate in ground effect.
2. Failure to abort when he didn't have enough speed partway down the runway (though he didn't crash so maybe he knew exactly what he needed  ;D [font=verdana])[/font]
3. Density altitude (the pilot in that incident had about 300 hours and this was the second airplane he's wrecked, decision making is not his strong suit)
4. Pilot didn't decide on a landing site soon enough, and failed to maintain enough energy to flare prior to landing
5. Stuck elevator control lock
6. Load shift

I cheated on 3, 5, and 6 because I was already familiar with those cases.
Colonel

re: 1-3 ... you have to wonder what a lighter weight
(less fuel, pax, baggage) and perhaps leaning the
mixture at high density altitude might have done.

re: 4 ... it was a "brand new engine".  As I have

said before, the more maintenance an aircraft gets,
the less reliable it becomes.
David MacRay

Number 1 looked very heavy but also the tail was touching the ground a few times. I was initially thinking the pilot was pulling the yoke back too much. After watching it a few times I wonder if the center of gravity was too far aft.