Not current....

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

It might be worse because the production quality is high. More people will watch.

That is bad due to the confusion about it being flight training.

Rookie Pilot

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=4795.msg12387#msg12387 date=1478556321]
It might be worse because the production quality is high. More people will watch.

That is bad due to the confusion about it being flight training.
[/quote]

If I watch a YouTube video " how to weld", I don't assume that is the be all and end all for safe welding....doesn't mean though I might learn something. 

Think most would assume the same watching FC. It's a motivator for new pilots I'd imagine (I have watched all of 5 minutes but get the  drift)

For GA in it's horrid condition I can't see that as bad.
David MacRay

The problem is this. When you expose yourself to bad habits you pick them up.

Example, you hear, "Any conflicting traffic please advise." On the radio. You don't answer because you are not conflicting. Then you think, "Maybe I should say that." Next thing lots of people start saying it.

I started saying it, sounded legit, I was used to talking to controllers. It freaked me out being at an uncontrolled airport and making a call with no response. Maybe there is someone out there but they are shy, I'll coax them with my cool pilot phrase.

Then people explained it was not working and blocking the radio with me blabbing on too much, possibly preventing someone else from telling me they might be conflicting.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=4795.msg12392#msg12392 date=1478570506]
The problem is this. When you expose yourself to bad habits you pick them up.
[/quote]
You also pick up good habits through exposure.  Over time you see more and build more experience and become better able to filter out the good from the bad.  Flying is such a broad subject that we're largely our own teachers.
DeflectionShot

FC takes on the Chipmunk....

p.s. how does it work for these flying museums for wannabe pilots? Do you provide equity to the organization? Pay them for the flight training? Unlike the Commemorative Air Force in the US they don't appear to list pilot requirements.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=DeflectionShot link=topic=4795.msg12446#msg12446 date=1478898957]p.s. how does it work for these flying museums for wannabe pilots? Do you provide equity to the organization? Pay them for the flight training? Unlike the Commemorative Air Force in the US they don't appear to list pilot requirements.
[/quote]
It depends.  I picked up a rag at a very young age and helped clean up, now I'm lucky enough to be able to fly all sorts of neat things.  Generally speaking, I find the common thread between most vintage airplane operations is that they appreciate the pilots who approach it all with a sense of humility and no aversion to doing the work that's needed to keep things going.  Some will ask for your money, others prefer straight up sweat equity.