First solo at only fifteen hours.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

I liked a flight schools page on friendface so they post congratulatory messages whenever a student solos or passes something. The one this morning pointed out how the student did their first solo "at only fifteen hours"

Made me think of some posts here and at AvCanada.

Chris

Your avatar is the exact face I made when I read that.
Slick Goodlin

You know what?  Good on him.  He had a dream of flying and he's passed a huge milestone on his way towards it.  Or her goal, whichever.

I choose not to crap on this person or the organization they learned with based only on the minimal information I've been given.
David MacRay

I think it's good. I think fifteen hours seems reasonable. I also think it's reasonable to have lots more depending on a lot of factors.

The thing is I found it amusing that the school chose to point out the amount in such a celibatory manner.

Why? Because there have been many that claim less is average and or expected.
David MacRay

Also, I like the school so though I expect others to do so. I am not crapping on them.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=4628.msg12039#msg12039 date=1477077579]The thing is I found it amusing that the school chose to point out the amount in such a celibatory manner.[/quote]
I'm goi to chalk this up to marketing.  Make it look easy so hopefully others follow along.

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=4628.msg12039#msg12039 date=1477077579][font=Verdana]a[b] celibatory [/b]manner.[/font][/quote]
[font=Verdana]So another dorky pilot who won't be getting any?[/font]
David MacRay

Speld cheque can only do so much for me. :(
Big Ears Teddy

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=4628.msg12054#msg12054 date=1477109151]So another dorky pilot who won't be getting any?[/quote]I can't understand it. I bought the Ray Bans and the Breitling, and I have the gold bars, and they [i]still[/i] won't talk to me. I swear that Trojan in my wallet is gonna get used sometime in the next 12 months, or I'm looking for a new career. This pilot thing ain't all it's cracked up to be.  :(
ramjet555

The schools that rely on "the integrated program" plan on a first solo at around 20  hours.
At the same airports where its a rat race of d-structors doing 12 hrs a month flight and 100 hours ground ,
there is a financial incentive for instructors to drag it out which makes it not uncommon for first solo's on a regular
PPL then CPL training to take more than 20 hours.

Just before I left such a school, I was given a student who had completed some 200 hours
and had not gone solo. Now, at a very different environment, new students typically have a friend a recently went
solo in 10 hours and they are ready to give it an effort and expect the same from their instructor.