Luscombe or Fleet Canuck

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
mcrit

Just interested in everyone's opinion on these.  From what I've read they are gentlemanly aircraft to fly and both capable of light, (low g) aerobatics.

Colonel

Luscombe is metal and can be tied down outside.

Fleet Canuck is fabric and really needs a hangar.

I like both!

Check carefully for groundloop damage.  Alignment
of the mains is the first thing I look at.
Slick Goodlin

I have zero actual experience in either so take this for what it is, but I heard somewhere that the Luscombe's fuselage frame that carries the landing gear and front spar attachment is often cracked and borderline not worth replacing.  If I were in your shoes I'd research the daylights out of that before a pre purchase inspection.
Chuck Ellsworth

They are both great machines.

But if you choose a Fleet Canuck BPF will not teach in it because it is unsafe in his opinion.
Barneydhc82

I would go with the Canuck as it was designed with real size people in mind.  Just check the vertical fin front attach point  and the lower longerons for corrosion.

Barney
David MacRay

Would there be a way for you to fly both. I am thinking that would be an excellent way to decide which one you like best.
Chuck Ellsworth

My comment about BPF and the Fleet Canuck is relevant to the subject because the Fleet Canuck does not have brakes on the right hand side and BPF will not teach in one as he has so many times stated on these forums.

When a flight instructor refuses to fly a particular airplane due to what he sees to be a safety concern that makes it relevant in my opinion.

And to further support my opinion TC has hired him.
Chuck Ellsworth

We all have our pet peeves, mine just happen to be about quality flight training and those who are licensed to provide it.

The Fleet Canuck is one of the best training aircraft ever built and it is a certified aircraft.

Now may I ask you a serious question?

What would you think if you bought a Canuck and you went to a licensed flight instructor and he refused to teach you on it?

This fucking thread was started by someone want in to know about two different airplanes and I am giving my personal opinion based on having learned on both and taught on both probably before you were born.

And yes I do think mentioning BPF is of some value because I believe he now works for TC.