Center lines...

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[quote]Chasing airspeed in the climb and climbing in a roller coaster profile.[/quote]

Usually that's because no one taught them

[b]ATTITUDE + POWER = PERFORMANCE[/b]

Just set the power and the pitch attitude,
and there ya go.  Some AF pilots need to
learn that.

I see the same thing with people chasing the
EGT needles with the mixtures.  Drives me
nuts.  Just set the MP and the RPM and the
fuel flow where it should be, and so will the
EGT be where it should.

You should have some rough numbers for
any aircraft that you fly, of power and pitch
settings for takeoff, climb, cruise, descent,
approach.  If you don't, get some.

[quote]The inability to fly a constant approach on centre line[/quote]

This one bugs me.  A professional pilot, flying
a type printed on his licence, ought to be able
to [u]hand fly an ILS with the needles in the donuts[/u]
under reasonable conditions.  "Raw Data" they
call it these days.

[img]http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Imag ... ch%202.gif[/img]

Those with soccer participation medals may disagree.

[quote]landing way off the centre line.[/quote]

That's just not giving a shit.  Often the result
of uncorrected crosswind and 200 foot wide runways.

Again, it's entirely possible that no one ever taught
them how to correct for a crosswind on short final.

David MacRay

[quote]
(1) Controlling taxi speed with brakes and not reducing power.

[/quote]

I picked up that bad habit in the nineties flying 172s out of YYC. Sometimes on those cross country taxi trips to the runway farthest from the base you wanted to save ten bucks Hobbes time.

One day I was in a nice rental with a dry shimmy damper. Got a high speed shimmy that set off the elt. No convenient dash mounted remote switch. So I had to shut down on the taxi way climb into the back. And cycle the elt to shut it off and re-arm it. The damper was not the only issue on that fine aircraft. It also had a bad bendix or something so the starter needed a beating to engadge the ring gear every so often. So sure enough I this was one of the times was I stranded on one of the main taxiways.  :-\

Should have learned my lesson from that but I have been accused of taxiing too fast a couple of times since. I need to make an effort to very intentionally and consciously taxi at appropriate power setting and speeds.
Chuck Ellsworth

My comment was not about taxi speed, it was the fact that like far to many pilots if he wanted to slow down he used brakes rather than reduce the power setting.

That can only be blamed on his training.

Flight training in Canada is controlled by the very bottom of the gene pool in Ottawa and the other regions.

It has been this way for decades and they will not change, one of their recent hires will ensure that there will be no improvement.

Anyone that will not conform to their way of regulating flight training would be seen as a danger to their power structure and would not be hired.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=4425.msg11678#msg11678 date=1475615570]
Flight training in Canada is controlled by the very bottom of the gene pool in Ottawa and the other regions.
[/quote]
In my past instructing experience I'd have to disagree with you, Chuck.  When I taught I found there was no control over it at all, or at least I myself never saw any oversight.  That's why I think things are being taught wrong or not at all.
Chuck Ellsworth

You are right Slick there is zero quality control by the Regulator, if there was pilots would not be issued licenses unless they demonstrated they understood how to operate an airplane and once they understood they could demonstrate they can actually operate it properly.

If a commercial pilot can not fly the centre line and land on the centre line they should be never have been licensed in the first place.

If a pilot working for an airline is so sloppy or inept they pay no attention to where they touch down in relation to the centre line they should be fired for careless operation of the airplane.
Colonel

CPL graduates of a nearby puppy mill are unable
to fly a 172.  I know it's a fire-breathing dragon,
but they approach too fast, put it down on the
nosewheel, lock up the brakes trying to stop,
and can't keep it straight in any (and I mean any)
crosswind.

Clearly these kids are being taught very little,
except perhaps to read a book while they are
flying, and TC couldn't care less.
Chuck Ellsworth

It was really bad back when I flew in Canada, but judging from your comments Colonel it is getting worse.

vanNostrum

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=4425.msg11684#msg11684 date=1475637438]
CPL graduates of a nearby puppy mill are unable
to fly a 172.  I know it's a fire-breathing dragon,
but they approach too fast, put it down on the
nosewheel, lock up the brakes trying to stop,
and can't keep it straight in any (and I mean any)
crosswind.

Clearly these kids are being taught very little,
except perhaps to read a book while they are
flying, and TC couldn't care less.
[/quote]

OFC?
Liquid Charlie

Being subjected to "green" commercial pilots on a daily basis. I have noticed that they are full of rules and procedures (verbal [b][color=rgb(106, 106, 106)][font=arial][size=small]diarrhea traffic advisories drive me fucking crazy) but very little stick and rudder skills. I could be because there are so many pilots being churned out of the puppy mills that the "natural" pilot has become a very small minority. The percentage is staggering, about 1 in 10 who shows those natural and instinctive abilities and the rest are just there for the ride and in fact the aircraft is flying them and not visa versa. There is also a percentage  who could give a fuck. They know as they scrape by that eventually they will be saved by automatics. The instrument scan is becoming a lost art and hand flying for most is just a necessary evil until they get that autopilot. [/size][/font][/color][/b]
[b][color=rgb(106, 106, 106)][font=arial][size=small]Damn -- I might becoming a grumpy old man -- haha -- naw -- no a chance --  [/size][/font][/color][/b]
[color=#6a6a6a][/color][b][color=rgb(106, 106, 106)][font=arial][size=small]Here is another weird thing. Flying in uncontrolled airspace and I constantly hear people flying at +500 and then announce that they will be doing the R-NAV approach at bum fuck some where -- what am I missing here --[/size][/font][/color][/b]
[b][color=rgb(106, 106, 106)][/color][/b]
[b][color=rgb(106, 106, 106)][/color][/b]
Colonel

[quote]they are full of rules ... but very little stick and rudder skills[/quote]

This is what drives Chuck and me nuts.

No one cares any more if you can fly, as
long as you have the all-important paper.

TC only cares about their stupid, arbitrary
rules - which are different than every other
country's - and they don't care if you can
actually fly an airplane or not.

After all, they can't, so why should you?

FTU's, who live in fear of TC, deliver exactly
what TC wants, which is shitty pilots that
are paperwork experts.

Paperpushers everywhere have the same
disease.  Air France, Colgan, and look
at what Eric Jansen posts on a daily basis.

No one can fly, everyone just cares about
the paper.  This results in crashes, of course,
which "surprises" the regulators, whom are
dumber than dog shit and try to cover up.

I love that the FAA said "screw this shit"
and said to go get an ATP if you want to fly.

You know.  In an airplane.

I know not everyone is a tailwheel fanatic
like I am, but if you can't fly an ILS with
the needles in the donuts, you're shit, and
you don't care who knows it.