Words Fail Me

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Barneydhc82

The guy that did the hitting was the President of the F1 Association and he was put in last place because he refused to allow an inspection after his last win. This from a friend who flies F1 at Reno.

Undoubtedly the bad guy won't be very popular within the F1 group.

When Thom's engine failed on t/o he raised his canopy to signal a problem and there was a RED flag but it was ignored or missed by the other pilot.  From friends watching the racers.

Barney

Strega

There were a lot of balls dropped here to end up with the result that happened...

This is from the "hitter" aircraft...

[youtube][/youtube]

FYI you are supposed to maintain your ground track on the TO roll..  and the starters are not supposed to launch a race with a plane shut down. (as expected)

But then again,, what do I know,,,  Im just a bad person..

Im sure the experts like mr crunch and rookie, CID , and Rockie know better  (Rockie has already started commenting on the other forum)
Barneydhc82

Just received two videos from friends who were to the right of the runway and neither show a red flag from the starters position..he did not have one...however there was a red flag on the golf cart just past the collision point.  This was taken down after the fact.

I'm not going to post the videos as the two people who took them have asked me not to.

Barney 
Gravel Digger

I treat high-risk activities the same way I treat taking colossal dumps. I take them by myself where no one will be affected by it no matter what.

I see videos like this and think: "what the fuck for?". There's no reason for this takeoff setup, no advantage to anyone. Stupid. Always treat stupidity as a solo activity. If you get a group of people together being stupid, the shit heap grows exponentially.
JW Scud

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=4289.msg11428#msg11428 date=1474510101]

Out-of-visual formation is suicide.  The so-called
"French Connection" tried it - they were a really
good civilian formation team that flew incredibly
well, given how shitty their airplanes were.  They
did a "belly-to-belly" hammerhead, and they're
both dead now.

[/quote]

Colonel

Yeah, that's them.  Old guy, ex-french military pilot,
great stick, flew wing on his wife.  They put on a
really good show in those crappy CAP10's.  I can
only imagine how awesome a show they could
have flown in modern monoplanes.
JW Scud

What was Jimmy Franklin's fatal mistake. I saw him years back and he looked to be doing kind of risky stuff.
Colonel

Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin, flying a [i]TC-approved
sequence[/i], flew out-of-visual formation, which is pretty
easy to happen with couple of biplanes that you can't
see forward from.

Remember, TC are the "winners" and I'm just a stupid
fucking loser, but my religion says "[b]no out-of-visual
formation[/b]".  Like sequence takeoffs.  In fucking
taildraggers, no less.
cgzro

Yeah, two simple tricks make it much safer.

1) wait till the plane in front's wheels clear the ground before you start to roll
2) if you are blind out the front pivot 45 degrees so you can see whats happening directly in front.

Strega

How about dont launch the race with a plane thats dead on the runway?