Clint Eastwood's new movie: Sully in the Hudson

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[quote]if you were in charge of a history curriculum, it would be heavy on WWI, WWII and aviation[/quote]

This being an aviation website, and given that many
pilots fly aircraft older than they are - my son flew an
aircraft FOUR TIMES his age, and RCAF Hornet pilots come
to mind - some interest in the development of aviation
is reasonable to see here.  Why do you fly what you do?

I know you're always trying to spin things in a
particular direction - which tires me - but you must
admit there is a peculiar lack of interest in anything
that occurred more than 30 or 40 years ago.  It's as
if Canada was invented by the elder Trudeau - a
horrifying thought.

I think it's reasonable that to graduate from high
school, that you have a superficial knowledge of
the events of the 20th century.

If you're a Canadian, similar one-sentence knowledge
of Confederation, the war of 1812, and the revolutionary
war in the colonies would also be reasonable.  You
know, events that created Canada.

But maybe you're right, and I'm expecting too much
from Canadian citizens.

Moment of irony: an engineer (and middling pilot) is
mourning the death of the liberal arts education.

I know, I shouldn't mention irony.  Elitist of me.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming:

[img width=500 height=281]http://cdn.pcwallart.com/images/miley-c ... aper-3.jpg[/img]

Colonel

I can only apologize if my lack of enthusiasm for
censorship and revisionism is unfashionable.

It is a terrible character flaw of mine that I am not
a particular fan of how Soviet Russia and China
like to conveniently rewrite the past.  Case in point:

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/world ... .html?_r=0]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/world ... .html?_r=0[/url]

[quote]BEIJING — Fifty years to the day since Communist Party leaders formally set in motion Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution, miring China in a decade of bloody political upheaval, [u]the party’s main newspaper broke the general silence about the anniversary[/u] and urged people to accept the past condemnation of the event and focus on the future.

The article was the party’s most high-level public comment so far on the 50th anniversary of the revolution, Mao’s effort to cleanse and reinvigorate Communism by attacking his own colleagues and unleashing the Red Guards, fervent student militants recruited to enforce his cause.

The commentary was unlikely to satisfy historians and people who lived through that time and have called for a more candid and thorough examination of its lessons. [b]Chinese news organizations, under the weight of censorship, have overwhelmingly ignored the anniversary[/b], and have found no room to note the traumatic turning point in modern Chinese history, during which perhaps [b]a million or more people were killed.[/b]

“The more time passes, the more difficult it’s become to acknowledge these mistakes,” said Dai Jianzhong, a sociologist in Beijing who attended the high school that was the birthplace of the first Red Guards. [b]“Intellectual closure has left the younger generation almost completely ignorant of the past.”[/b][/quote]

Too much aviation content?
David MacRay

It would be nice if you did start a history course based on Canadian WWI, WWII and global aviation.

I find it interesting you write as if Shiny and I oppose that. When the truth is we are quite in agreement with you and the rest of our small minority interested in that. I just would like to see you embrace the, "You'll catch more bears with honey than vinegar." approach.

The problem as you have mentioned is Canada is interested in transitioning to the next version. Now with more "culture".

It's not all bad. I certainly enjoy a good chicken shawarma.
David MacRay

Villain? Maybe stop tying widows to train tracks.

Who doesn't like the log drivers waltz? Durn kids these daze could never drive logs.

Vtoss

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=3911.msg10404#msg10404 date=1470974646]

Even the term "progressive" tax rate, to describe the
incredibly punitive income tax scheme in Canada,
gives us a glimmer into the Canadian psyche of hatred
towards performers.

[/quote]

Canada has a punitive tax scheme? Let's see....combined federal and state/provincial taxes are lower in BC than in California for someone earning $1000,000. Takehome pay is higher in BC than CA for both low and high earners, before you even consider health insurance. Small business taxes (up to $500k) are much lower in Canada (12% in BC vs 44% in CA). Am I missing something, or is this just more tendentiousness? I would have thought even a graduate of Queen's could add up a couple of numbers to compare tax rates :)
Colonel

[quote]Am I missing something[/quote]

Yes, you have no idea what you are talking
about.

Income tax in the USA is much, much lower
than in Canada.
ramjet555

So where does this thread lead?
Don't tell me, therefore, because the world is in danger of pussyification,
the world needs the macho delusions of Donald Trump
and extreme tea party doctrine that divides the USA so badly that  you have
to choose where you are going to live based on your politics.

[font=Verdana][size=78%] [/size][/font]
David MacRay

Ram, you turned so hard you spilled my soda and messed up Drumpt's hair.

We're trying to toughen up some young Canucks here.
Colonel

Sorry, Putin has it all over Trump when it comes to macho delusions.

[img width=500 height=335]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-stati ... 5676-0.jpg[/img]

PS  Who hunts topless?!

[img width=368 height=500]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/ ... 34x860.jpg[/img]

NB  For the love of sweet baby Jesus, don't
anyone post any topless pictures of Hilary, ok?