South Pole rescue

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

Which rule ?
Walter Sobchak

Bowling rules mostly. Like when Smokey was over the line.

That's a good article though.
Liquid Charlie

I find this whole situation completely fucked. Why are they not using a "big long range" aircraft. The reasons they put out not to do this is pure bullshit and is because the military is not prepared or properly equipped to utilize their hercs and likely for some reason won't ask the Russians (they certainly would geter done. Contrary to what they would like you to believe the Herc would do it but the military has the STC on skiers but ironically they don't outfit their aircraft for "snow bank" operations. We would be flying with no issues in extreme cold and the military would blast off and return on one engine because the other three engines propeller pitch locked because of poor cold wx prep or knowledge. Ironically the skier hercs in USAF are mostly crewed by "weekend worriers" and are just not trained in extreme cold wx ops. So for the sake of one life they will not commit a crew and aircraft. I have watched them in action in northern greenland and they are not off strip material and why would anyone expect them to be so. So bullshit baffles brains and most of joe public buys the bullshit.

Nice charter for Borek -- certainly helps the bottom line. Ironically the risk factor is certainly increased because of the military short comings. Be safe out there guys in your "2 otter heavy" 
Walter Sobchak

I guess it's impossible to bang out a strip for a wheel plane to land. If someone could do that it'd open up all kinds of possibilities. That's how it's done in the north. I wonder why not in the south.

I'd do it for the sake of saving a life, but I'm on wheels only. Wouldn't be the first time I landed by flare pots.

Walter Sobchak

Ha! Anti-Semite.
Walter Sobchak

Looks like they won't be needing me after all.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... south-pole