Bent metal club

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Anyone who has the cajones to play guitar
with Jimmy Page is aces in my book!

Nark1

I've missed the running joke, but who came up with the "variable tailwinds on final" shtick?
Colonel

That's pdw's line.

[youtube][/youtube]

It's the root cause of "no wind beneath my wings"
also known as an absence of Bette Midler.

pdw is a [b]HUGE [/b]fan of BetteM!
Four Bars

Ah, that girl married to the Spandex Mini-Skirt King...
Colonel

Nana is [i]way [/i]better

pdw

Who wasn't a fan of Bette.

[quote author=Nark link=topic=3184.msg9969#msg9969 date=1468776367]
I've missed the running joke, but who came up with the "variable tailwinds on final" shtick?
[/quote]I recall using "V"  and "TLWND" (wx terms) inadvertantly together a few times while discussing some of the aft-quarterings that seemed to me claiming some of the heavy cargo singles on mostly icing approaches (sometimes without icing) and sometimes departures. The debates weren't going all that well and one Oct6 a thread pops up about an Ottawa float plane sinking and Colonel Sanders says "good job". Well a guy named Siddley fires right back " Sun in your eyes, variable tailwinds on approach and glassy are often deadly combinations" (I suspect there was the overwhelming urge there to use those two words in a sentence together while keeping a straight face).

A month later (circa nov 2012) GyvAir coins a thread-name "Variable tailwinds on final ? " leading us into exploring that Citation accident into an end berm at Sao Paulo Brazil for his attempt at a prime example. That took it away beyond anyone's imagination and has been used ever since with a gradually increasing understanding of what ever was intended by its first use.

I can only admit it is still a tightrope walk to steer appropriate commentary in its defense for what really had been intended. It sure has generated its share of aviation humour as it came to life; apparently there's no shaking it now.

Colonel

I always had the hots for:

[img width=340 height=500]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/ ... 34x933.jpg[/img]

Reminds me of the time Margaret Trudeau came
to the Waterside in Portland and got so drunk
she pissed herself.