Bent metal club

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

[quote author=pdw link=topic=3184.msg9594#msg9594 date=1466716524]
[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=3184.msg9560#msg9560 date=1466533257]
Somebody should lend me an airplane. Get some go-pro cameras. I'll go flying and film it.

Then we get pdw to critique the flights while drawing the wx and stuff on a white board.

It would be epic.
[/quote]

Yeah it would be except that wx profile already exists, and wouldn't be easy to anticipate the day/hour on that strip where the same wx applies which is almost never. Not impossible though ...
[/quote]
How could the wx profile exist? I have not got use of the plane yet.

I'm not going to bend it just fly around and blab about what I'm doing like the flightchops guy. Probably eating sandwiches while I go. That'll be my gimmick.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=3184.msg9602#msg9602 date=1466740142]
...just fly around and blab about what I'm doing like the flightchops guy. Probably eating sandwiches while I go. That'll be my gimmick.
[/quote]
Move aside Flight Chops, it's time for the Flying Club Sandwich to take centre stage!  I would help make it if I get sandwiches in proportion to screen time.  Or vice versa.
Colonel

I think I've mentioned that Rob Erdos, Fleet16b and I
were sitting at an airshow wx briefing and the wx guy
excitedly told us about "mesoscale activity over Kansas"
which might have been relevant except that the airport
was 2,000 miles from Kansas and not getting any closer.

You just can't make shit this weird up.

I don't know why wx people are so bizarre and try to make
stuff so complicated and try to obscure what matters with
all sorts of irrelevant crap.

For Christ's sake, all I want is:

1) current and forecast winds at the surface and 3,000
2) lowest cloud (I personally don't give a shit but TC
    weiners act as if you just grabbed their mother's crotch
    if you go near a cloud)

I can figure out the density altitude myself, thank you,
and I can watch the radar on my phone for precip during
the day.
Chuck Ellsworth

[size=1em]Let me see if I understand this anti authority stuff.[/size]

[size=1em]I consider any TC inspector to be more dangerous to me personally than any street criminal.[/size]

[size=1em]So if I were to be approached by one telling me I was being ramp checked I would tell him/her to fuck off.[/size]

[size=1em]That should fit the bill for anti authority.[/size]

[size=1em]Does that mean I am a poor pilot and a high risk to have an accident?[/size]

[size=1em]Anyone here able to answer that question? [/size]
pdw

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=3184.msg9610#msg9610 date=1466779172]were sitting at an airshow wx briefing and the wx guy
excitedly told us about "mesoscale activity over Kansas"
which might have been relevant except that the airport
was 2,000 miles from Kansas and not getting any closer.

all I want is:
1) current and forecast winds at the surface and 3,000
2) lowest cloud [/quote]

Simple, if synopticscale was "2,000" and isobars showed extended frontal trough to "that airport" (with the mesoscale/Kansas activity at the other end of it), your "surface and 3,000" not so predictable/accurate, and "current" is subject to change (high amplitude trough = strong system/slow moving); sometimes no precip / little or no cloud yet windshift pending (frontal activity is unmarked/clear). Difficult prediction but easy to check data if "bent metal" is related (after).

EDIT (Mon Jun27):
Walter, in my study/situation ... a downslope approach (downslope component on the Niagara Escarpment)  was effected by the system far away/north on L.Superior. I'm told that also happens in valleys/canyons where direction-change/increase is often effected by a frontal advance of even very distant/intense LO's.
CB's far away with-in same system / synoptic scale dimension are no local threat, and sure ... the great lakes wx on/around the lakes is then affected by the waters ...  effects that can alter wx more quickly.

EDIT:(Tues Jun28):
Weather history data is available now for every synopsis so it's possible to identify clear-wx/show airspeed accidents where wx-forensics have evidence of component-change just-occurred or in progress during show/landing/take-off etc mishaps yet mostly no mention of it among the causal factors.

Walter Sobchak

PDW did you have an accident that you feel was caused by a wind shift or shear?
David MacRay

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=3184.msg9612#msg9612 date=1466805076]

So if I were to be approached by one telling me I was being ramp checked I would tell him/her to fuck off.
[/quote]
You should figure out which one they are first.
[url=[/url]

Colonel

[quote]Simple[/quote]

Yes, it's simple.  Cb's 2,000 miles away don't matter.

This reminds me of the time an FSS guy told me that
the great lakes don't affect the weather.  That kind
of BS gets pilots killed.

PS  I couldn't give a fuck about tailwinds.  I remember
taking a 20 knot tailwind in Central America, for a head-on
takeoff (and subsequent landing) with Freddy, both
of us in Pitts S-2C's.  But I'm probably not as good a
pilot as most Canadians.

[img width=414 height=500][/img]

[img width=500 height=334][/img]

I really don't get what the big deal is with clouds and
wind.  They're allowed to be there.  Get over it.  Fly
the east coast for a year (even if I'm not allowed to
fly there any more).
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=pdw link=topic=3184.msg9720#msg9720 date=1467502245]
[quote author=Walter Sobchak link=topic=3184.msg9621#msg9621 date=1466814356]PDW did you have an accident that you feel was caused by a wind shift or shear?[/quote]To answer/illustrate requires surface analysis for Thurs Nov18/1976 3:55pm between eastern Lake Erie and northern James Bay. The 4th attempt at the threshold on a downhill approach to the N/S strip 3-4nm SSE of Vineland was touchdown in the first 1/4. Home base was  stiff right 10-20deg crosswind of the OCLN (wx-hist) using rwy28/YSN best into-wind in the 3:20pm departure. BINOVC (wx-hist/pirep) appeared ideal to go 'grass strip' there (15nm SW) after school with 2 pax / approx 90%MTOW in a '68 172.
[/quote]
[img width=252 height=500]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 29/538.jpg[/img]