Seaplane Rating

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
redlaser

7 hours is not nearly enough time to properly qualify someone to pilot a seaplane.  I think transport should require at least 25, if not 50 hours, plus a flight test in order to qualify.  This gives a much broader spectrum of conditions to fly in, and perhaps will allow for some actual glassy water landings, taxiing, sailing, and docking with wind on and off shore, etc.  The current requirement for solo time does not make sense, and just adds to the insurance nightmare, so I think all training should be dual up until the flight test, just like a multi rating!

Chuck Ellsworth

I agree that the training should be dual with a flight test, no solo period.

Also real glassy water training must be part of the training.

As to hours required that should be until the student can pass a flight test done by a flight test examiner not connected with the trainer or school.

Like the multi engine rating.
esp803

HOLY SHIT!

This is the most civil and agreeable post I've ever read on an aviation forum, especially considering who's posting. Wow.

To quote Ron Burgundy "I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed"

I'm with chuck, hour requirement isn't the issue, something comparable to a multi engine ride would be nice to see. I'd go out on a limb and say a average pilot who has never flow a multi, could jump into one, take it for a quick rip and bring it back in one piece, I can't say the same about floats...

E